Peddling while motor engaged...

John-Forrest

Local time
4:31 AM
I'm a bit unclear about something. If you have motor engaged, does it add power to peddle while riding? When climbing hills and engine is working harder, I'm not sure whether to peddle. I did have bike chain come loose while doing that up a long hill, though I'm not sure if that's because bike chain needs tightening.

I do notice that when the hill gets VERY steep, peddling helps groaning engine, but only when peddle is actually engaging.

Isn't the idea about this to add human power to engine power? Are the bikes made that way?

Also, my legs get very tired just resting; I'd like to peddle to relieve cramps in legs.

What do other people do?

yes, i pull a trailer , with groceries etc. , there are about 4 long steep hills, once i feel that my pedaling makes a difference , then i help, you can hear the engine pulsing with the force of each stroke, & like you said, if my legs get tired, i can pedal anytime.

I had to change my front chain ring to a 54 tooth (largest made) so I could
pedal assist at speed. I am thinking of getting a rear cassette with a 12 tooth
small gear vrs the 14 tooth that came stock.
Pedal assist is the way to go! Get some exercise on the way!

A

yes I pedal assist on some hills, and when I start off from a red light, it just helps the motor get going better in both cases. I have noticed that it is easier for the motor to pull when I pedal assist, I actually gain speed from it also.

Yes pedalling adds power, cuts wear on the motor, and saves gas and works in virtually all setups... frame mount, tire rubbing, etc.

Peddle Assist at speed...

I had to change my front chain ring to a 54 tooth (largest made) so I could
pedal assist at speed. I am thinking of getting a rear cassette with a 12 tooth
small gear vrs the 14 tooth that came stock.
Pedal assist is the way to go! Get some exercise on the way!

A

I'm a bit curious about this. Do you mean change sprocket on bike chain side? Do more teeth mean more speed/power? When you say peddle assist at speed, do you mean you feel the peddle engaging while engine is at full throttle? Does that increase speed/power/gas mileage?

I'm also considering putting gears on bicycle sprocket. Can you put extra gears on? Is it hard (i.e. expensive) to do?

Thanks,
John, a new rider

Correct, I am talking about the bicycle only.
A bigger front "sproket" or chain ring will give you a higheer gear ratio, as will smaller
sprokets in the rear. You cannot add gears in the rear but you can by a "cassette"
of all new rear gears with a higher ratio/

My legs could not go fast enuff to apply any pressure on the pedals "at speed"
With the higher gears I can assist the motor at 25 mph. All I could do before was
pedal as fast as I could with no resistance from the pedals.

Hope that made sence.

A

Back