Peeling paint in my gas tank

michael whiteman

Local time
2:53 AM
This might not be an issue with the teardrop tanks that come in kits, but worth checking. I am using a larger square Honda tank mounted on my rear rack. It is fairly new and today I discovered the paint under the cap is starting to soften up and is falling into the fuel. I have a filter but I don't want it to become clogged up prematurely because of this. I took a wire wheel and removed all the paint around this area to prevent this from continuing.
Something you might want to check to prevent a future problem.

Yes you correct, this is an easily overlooked common issue with M/B gas tanks.
Any paint on the filler neck where the gas cap screws on should be removed or eventually the gas cap will scrape it off and it'll end up in the gas tank. This usually clogs up the petcock screen or the fuel filter restricting the fuel flow.
Sometime the smallest of paint flecks will make it past cheep fuel filters and end up in the carb

I just went though this with a buddies bike. Keep lean surging and dying. First thing i did was pull the petcock and filter. Cleaned petcock filter and changed line filter. He didnt believe me that paint from the filler next was clogging his petcock and line filter. So i cut the line filter open to show him. Even had a little rust in it.

Back