Permatex Gasket Sealant & Dressing Safe to Use on Magneto Gasket?

Aikaru

Local time
11:52 PM
I live in a very humid area in the South and need to ensure that my magneto box is not exposed to ANY moisture whatsoever. So I picked up some gasket sealant but I don't know if it's the right stuff. I use cardboard gaskets btw. The sealant is made of silicone and does not dry or harden, it always stays tacky. It is also blue colored...is this the right stuff to use on these gaskets to ensure no water gets inside?

I live in a very humid area in the South and need to ensure that my magneto box is not exposed to ANY moisture whatsoever. So I picked up some gasket sealant but I don't know if it's the right stuff. I use cardboard gaskets btw. The sealant is made of silicone and does not dry or harden, it always stays tacky. It is also blue colored...is this the right stuff to use on these gaskets to ensure no water gets inside?
If you put one small bead on the housing all the way around and let it dry, you won't need paper.

I would say yes, as long as it is non-hardening. I like Gasgacinch. It's a light bodied rubber cement. You might want to seal the grommet too.
Yes, it is not hardening, at most it becomes very tacky, and it's completely silicone. I just covered the whole paper gasket in a thin layer of it and then bolt my cover on with it, and then immediately wipe any outside excess off.

I don't want to replace my gasket, I just want to seal it so moisture doesn't get inside. A cardboard gasket alone is sure to have moisture leaks over time.

Back