Petcock issues

hoghungry1

Local time
4:04 PM
I went from a half gallon tank to a one gallon strictly for the external mounting tabs. The studs on the little tank leaked. I understand this is a common problem. My issue now is the petcock. The new tank has a male spout where the old had a female. The supplied new petcock leaked and I am unable to fix it. I am afraid to order a new one because it looks like they are all by the same manufacturer! How can I adapt to a simple lawn mower shut off with some sort of barb fitting to go on the tank? I already made one wasted trip to the hardware store and the threads won't work. Can anybody direct me to the correct fitting?

65A84E4D-C1BC-4598-99CA-A9D48900F8F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 9328982B-E474-43FA-BEA9-46B21145334C.jpeg
    9328982B-E474-43FA-BEA9-46B21145334C.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 5BBB1E84-5859-4380-A78D-C83F1B9AD0AF.jpeg
    5BBB1E84-5859-4380-A78D-C83F1B9AD0AF.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 1C9B10D8-3050-44E7-91B8-301E77E4FDDE.jpeg
    1C9B10D8-3050-44E7-91B8-301E77E4FDDE.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 95
I put the 4L on one bike and it came with the external thread pet already. Yours didn't come with the petcock?

Old tank leaked badly (Hardly pictured) Went to external mount tank as shown in later pic but first petcock was incorrect. Supplied petcock with larger tank leaked immediately. Tried to repair, no luck. Afraid to order another junk one. Was hoping to adapt to simple lawnmower shut off.

Old tank leaked badly (Hardly pictured) Went to external mount tank as shown in later pic but first petcock was incorrect. Supplied petcock with larger tank leaked immediately. Tried to repair, no luck. Afraid to order another junk one. Was hoping to adapt to simple lawnmower shut off.
Fair enough, did you try FLAPS for a new fiber washer for the pet that came with it?

It is the body of the petcock that leaks where the handle cover is affixed to the cast body. I tried squeezing the rivets in a vise, no good. I tried JB weld all around the area to no avail.

Am I missing something here? The poster says the new tank came with "Male spout". That tank looks like the standard 4 liter tank with "female" (Internal threads) that uses the special male thread petcock that we all have used on that tank. No, the small tank version does not have the correct threads. This is the one I used:

Sick Bike parts has what appears to be the same one for $9.95 instead of the BB one for $16.95 on sale.

Am I missing something here? The poster says the new tank came with "Male spout". That tank looks like the standard 4 liter tank with "female" (Internal threads) that uses the special male thread petcock that we all have used on that tank. No, the small tank version does not have the correct threads. This is the one I used:

Sick Bike parts has what appears to be the same one for $9.95 instead of the BB one for $16.95 on sale.
Post #3 picture #4 shows new tank.

Pro-Tip: To help prevent breakage at the mount on these el-cheapo gas tanks... first, add a nut. Run that nut right up just barely snug on the tank and then back off a half 1/4 turn. Do this for all 4 mounting bolts. Next... take your usual mounting hardware and turn it upside down. Run it right up to the bolts already on the mounting hardware. Do this for both front and back. Now... you are going to need another set of mounting hardware... OR a simple piece of pipe-strap, or whatever is handy... mount as usual.

Basically, now you have the stresses of the mounting 100% on the solid metal mounting posts... not on the weld/tank mating point.

I can go take a photo ... yeah... I'll do that.... BRB...

EDIT: BACK!

Here you go!

GASTANKMOUNT1.jpg

Back