Petition to make Florida's RS-68 Null and Void. Anyone In?

That is true But I am pretty sure you are not going to get a speeding ticket going 40 in a 40 because you exceeded 30 mph. From my discussions the police are more concerned of slow vehicles in higher mph speeds zones causing traffic issues. So at the end of the day common sense rules the day. Your local cop does not have RS68 tattooed on left arm.

As for repeal of RS 68 if you remember or maybe you do not. A while back you could register your motorized bike without RS68 under the old TL10 regulations. That is how I registered my bike as a moped. Then a short while after the TL10 was changed it closed the door on a moped registration. Fellas in Florida still went to the DMV and tried to register mopeds but DMV workers did not know what to do with them. Then after some reconsideration for us they changed TL10 again but this time you could register a motorized bike as a motorized bike. But again there was no guidelines for DMV workers to do this. Shortly thereafter the RS68 rules were announced. So we had a track to follow to get a tag. The DMVs were clear on TL10 due to RS68. So instead of calling for the repeal of RS68 you really should be asking to change the TL10 to not require a motorized bike to have a tag yet still be legal in the eyes of the DMV and the Police. Then RS68 would go away.

Since Florida is mostly flat it wouldnt be an issue there, where I live its fairly hilly. Wonder how they would treat my bike doing a downhill, motor off, at 50 mph on a 60mph road when our states rules, I believe, limits motorized bikes to 30mph?

One of the problems with RS-68 and Motorbicycles is registration. Most of the bicycles I got, I got used off of craigslist and then put a motor on them because I got them inexpensive. No paperwork though. So when registering a motorbicycle how would one register a bicycle with motor on it with no paperwork? Second problem is that no registered, tagged vehicle should not be allowed on the sidewalks or bike paths. RS-68 ruins this for motorbicycles that should be run on the sidewalks and bikepaths for safety sake. My Motorbicycle only went 28mph, but I didn't feel like monkeying around with the clerk at the DMV because I had a used bike with no paperwork.

To address your first concern. The DMV requires an bill of sale for the bike so that is not a problem to obtain and the DMV will use the serial number on the pedal crank for the VIN. Most bikes have those numbers in that location. I can understand the sidewalk , bike lane issue you raise however keep in mind they never were legal to be in bike lanes or sidewalks. In fact they were not legal at all. Yes some police looked the other way and many did not as has been documented well here over the years. Many ended up in court with hefty fines. It got so bad at one point a TL10 said explicitly no motors on bicycles would be recognized.

Just for a bit of reason, the only reason everything that goes through a government computer needs a Vehicle Identification Number is because it won't let you save one without a VIN.

If you built it, give it random string you want.
Heck, print a cool little sticker like GENE005 and stick it on the bike.

I use my web sites build ID number that corresponds to it's build topic with pics and serial# but I don't indicate it on the bike, we don't need that here but a concession I am willing to make if the laws are relaxed a bit here in AZ.

Good luck you Florida guys.

I've always viewed them as a bike, when pedalling power off, and as a motorized bike when using engine power to power it. Similar to my canoe that has a motor mount for a trolling motor. If I am using the motor I have to follow the powered regulations. If I'm paddling, I don't have to follow the under power rules. So on trails that don't allow power, don't crank up the motor.

Nothing wrong with what you say as far as I am concerned. However that concept has been and is muddled in Florida.

The Overseas Heritage Trail in the Florida Keys they have been constructing over the years that will run the length of the Keys when completed, specifically has DOT signs on its entry points that state No Motor Vehicles.

I think I'd make myself an engine cover and ride the trail under peddle power and take my chances. It would be similar to the hunting rules that you cant have but a 3 shell capacity shot gun for hunting doves so hunters whose shotguns can hold 5 shells use a plug that limits it to 3 shells. An over eager game officer could issue the hunter a ticket, but a wise Judge could dismiss the case and invite the game officer to his chambers for a discussion.

Back