Pets and Animals thread

Sonicmess

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them.
Are there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something that you love?
Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

Sonicmess

People, I may need some assistance with my tick and flea infestations problem that my pets are having right now. I’m very aware that ticks and fleas could bring hazardous diseases and infections like flea-allergy dermatitis and tapeworms, etc. My pal suggests to make use of flea and tick control products, but there are a lot of these products available in the market and I’m not sure what product to use. Some suggest using organic products. Others, on the other hand, would say chemical products are safe and fast. So which would you use or any other suggestions, especially which brand to go with?

Frankenstein

Well as far as home goes I would bomb the hell out of it, specifically get one with a growth hormone inhibitor ( like (s)-methoprene) that interferes with the life cycle of the flea. I had of all things the bedbug bull crap happen and also dealt with fleas, basically I used products containing that type of chemical and that solved it in the house, outside the house I use a general multipurpose ant/roach/other bug killer around openings and doorways. I use the same thing in the house behind the fridge and stove and under the lip on the frames of cabinets and drawers (not the drawer itself or the cabinet door or face) and inside the frame of the window where sit slides in.

On the cats/dog all get a flea collar, and a bath with appropriate soap, best outside since fleas try to excape as soon as you start working and start face first since they will otherwise run there and hide in the ears and face area and then from the feet up, a lot of fleas will jump out into the world outside but I have pesticides between them and the inside of the house.

Flea combs are handy but I usually give up on it and flush the fleas out like I said by starting at the face and feet, the big glob of soap in the dry fur and spread it out and add a bit of water to the dryish area.

Some cats won't let you near them with a drop of water, they make a mild spray toy can spray on them, I usually only hit the neck/gruff and under the chin and stop above the breast with it since they lick it off anyway. Then let them go since it's very hard for the house be covered in a growth inhibitor and them not to lay on it and inadvertently transfer it to the fleas on them.

They make medicines you can feed them but I don't usually bother, a house isn't the same as mass production so the need to control shouldn't be that dire via feeding IMO. I have used a version on dogs which is a pill that can be used once daily, I can't remember the name but it's tame enough it can be taken every day without fear of hurting them. I would give that for 3 days following the bombing treatment.

Leave the collars in place until they expire, re-treat the home with a lower dosage (something like 1 can to 2 rooms instead of the 1:1) at the end of the pesticide's cycle, along with the outdoor, and replace the collars or start with a standard drops-in-the-fur type regimen.

I rounded up all the clothes and took them to one of those laundromats with the big 4 foot diameter washers and dryers and make it clean then cook the crap out of it with the dryer.

Food items get put in plastic bins or boxes sealed with duct tape, if it's cold enough out you can put stuff outside. Obviously remove animals from the premises while fogging up. Turn off all power to the house, tape up fridge (usually only a 3 hour wait) and if at all possible heat the house up as hot as you can a hour or so before beginning the bombing, it makes the process more effective in general, warmth drives up the metabolism of the bugs so they go out from hiding and try hunting which exposes them to more chemical and forces eggs to hatch.

A good thorough vacuuming is good right before since that picks up eggs/live bugs and can trigger the cocoons the larvae make to hatch the flea. They have a powder that us food grade enough you can feed to horses and cattle that can also be spread around the house and yard and vacuumed up.

I love animals, actually I think most animals deserve better respect than many people do, but that's just me. Currently 1 dog and one cat, but had several cats and dogs birds lizards fish frogs and all that before. My mom is probably the record holder with having had 2 lizards and handfuls of mice, 4 snakes, 4 ferrets, 3 cats, and a skunk. When I was very very young she even had a pot belly pig and dozens of chickens and a duck to top it off.

For the worries about animals outright dying and all the stories/lawsuits I would bet 20% are coincidence, 50% are bad owners giving their animals other questionable products and assumed the problem came from the medicine, probably another quarter of that is the result of owners overdosing one way or another, most likely by not rinsing the soap out of an animal's coat well enough or removing excess loose fur in the coat which they later eat off and poison themselves, and the last 5% is probably real life bad reactions between the animal and chemical, that's something that happens all the time however, even with people (like a cousin of mine can only use one type of soap otherwise he'll break out in hives, I can't personally use most toothpastes, I have an apparent reaction to the frothing agent sodium lauryl sulfate that gives me a sore in my mouth, so I just use a brand that doesn't use it)

Anyway that's what I did to rid my home of that crap and actually may need to do it here where I live now since I haven't done it in a long time and the dog recently picked up some fleas from another who came into the house without me knowing she had fleas. I'll do what I normally would do and prep the house, and hit it with the magic stuff and then move on.

The only animal I fear is a bear, for whatever unusual reason I have a fear of them, and many nightmares growing up about them somehow or another comming to get me. Maybe it's because they like to tear down hives and that's an offense I think most people I used to know would find that as a good enough reason to shoot them (a bear gets hooked on any food source, hives are easy targets with good payoff, when you have 20 nests built up you really won't want a bear to come back every night and tear one down, unfortunately these things happen)

Oddly enough I think my only other odd fear is corn fields, I don't like them and don't like going near them and especially going inside them. Their boring anyway so good for anyone who can stand walking around in one and manages to enjoy it. That and heights make me uneasy.