Phantom 85 engine

I received a reply to my email from bicycle-engines.com this morning...Im placing a copy here to keep Phantom 85 owners as well as all others informed as to what is going on with them...DAMIEN

Cool cool. Im interested in testing one out when they get it nailed down. Want to see if my friends would benefit from one. Most dont have many tools or the skills to make power from these engines. An out of the box performer would be ideal for them. I get worn out from helping them build their bikes and not getting to my projects. This engine would be great. They could keep up with me. 😆

I got five miles on mine and it's ruined.
Hopefully you got it from... bicycle-engines.com ...Your covered in that case...This was my post with my correspondence with them when we saw this issue happening due to defective parts and workmanship in these new series motors...DAMIEN

I did get it there and they want pictures. It took out the bearings on big and small ends of rod, piston skirt is broken off cylinder scored and top of piston is full of dents from shrapnel. So is the head. I think they are going to do something. They should.

Sounds like lack of lubrications. With all those things happening at once it had to be.

Sounds like lack of lubrications. With all those things happening at once it had to be.
It is not...it is a now known factory defect...Read the letter from bicycle-engines.com written to me in my queries, that i have previously posted here already...DAMIEN

"Hello ****,

We currently have a hold on our Phantom 85s, as we were made aware of a defect in the bushings and pins that was causing some major issues.

At this time, we are waiting for new updated replacements from our manufacturer that we will replace on our current stock before relisting them on our site. Any warranties that arise will be back-ordered until we receive that shipment. The current ETA for those is 2-3 weeks, but we will have a more accurate estimate soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

Thank you,

Rebecca McFerran
Customer Service Rep
Birddog Lighting
www.birddogdistributing.com
1-406-586-5970

It is not...it is a now known factory defect...Read the letter from bicycle-engines.com written to me in my queries, that i have previously posted here already...DAMIEN

"Hello ****,

We currently have a hold on our Phantom 85s, as we were made aware of a defect in the bushings and pins that was causing some major issues.

At this time, we are waiting for new updated replacements from our manufacturer that we will replace on our current stock before relisting them on our site. Any warranties that arise will be back-ordered until we receive that shipment. The current ETA for those is 2-3 weeks, but we will have a more accurate estimate soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

Thank you,

Rebecca McFerran
Customer Service Rep
Birddog Lighting
www.birddogdistributing.com
1-406-586-5970
It's too bad that didn't steal the needle bearings wrist pin the ms380 has.

But Lubricants are SOOO messy! I think they are sending me another engine and a different kind of bushing. The problem I think is the rod is made for 10 mm pin. New piston have12 mm pins. The wall thickness of the bearing or bushing is 1 mm less than yd motor. Maybe too thin for needle bearing? I don't know if any kind of bushing will hold up? Has anyone tried to hone out rod to accept a needle bearing with 12 mm id and whatever size of od the needle bearing requires? This is assuming that my understanding of the issue is correct I guess???

That's what there doing on the 110cc china girl engines that a few other companies have came out with. There honing out a 10mm small end rod. They might have small end rod failures as well. I did finally find a wrist pin bearing where only .5mm needs honed or machined out of small end of rod.

No pistons out there made for 10 instead of 12mm? The small end looks like it could handle the 0.5 increase. Where could I get one of those bearings?
That's what there doing on the 110cc china girl engines that a few other companies have came out with. There honing out a 10mm small end rod. They might have small end rod failures as well. I did finally find a wrist pin bearing where only .5mm needs honed or machined out of small end of rod.

Back