Carby Phantom 85 Intake offset Question

JustBe1138

Local time
3:07 PM
I just got my Phantom 85. It doesn't fit in the frame I have. I'd like to offset the intake between the Reed Valve and the Carb. Is this possible and does anybody have a link to the correct offset manifold? If not, can I run the motor with the carb only (no reed valve)?
20230515_222244.jpg
20230516_060050.jpg

I just got my Phantom 85. It doesn't fit in the frame I have. I'd like to offset the intake between the Reed Valve and the Carb. Is this possible and does anybody have a link to the correct offset manifold? If not, can I run the motor with the carb only (no reed valve)?
View attachment 192087View attachment 192088
For the OZ reednstyle blocks there are no offset intakes that I am aware of. You will need to fabricate something.

To run without a reed block you will need to simply change to a non-windowed piston. Pick any Stihl MS460 piston you desire. Hyway and Meteor being my 2 top picks. Bonus points for caber rings.

There are a few people running the Phantom as a piston port (no reed);that are very happy. Still a very powerful motor that way.

For the OZ reednstyle blocks there are no offset intakes that I am aware of. You will need to fabricate something.

To run without a reed block you will need to simply change to a non-windowed piston. Pick any Stihl MS460 piston you desire. Hyway and Meteor being my 2 top picks. Bonus points for caber rings.

There are a few people running the Phantom as a piston port (no reed);that are very happy. Still a very powerful motor that way.
That's sort of what I was thinking. I've been researching for a few hours and haven't found any offsets for the OZ Reeds. As far as fabrication, do you have any recommendations? I don't have a caliper to measure exactly the diameters. I was hoping (probably foolishly) that I could use some plumbing parts to make the connection? I just want to be sure I have good seals and no leaks in the intake system. Thank you for your help!

That's sort of what I was thinking. I've been researching for a few hours and haven't found any offsets for the OZ Reeds. As far as fabrication, do you have any recommendations? I don't have a caliper to measure exactly the diameters. I was hoping (probably foolishly) that I could use some plumbing parts to make the connection? I just want to be sure I have good seals and no leaks in the intake system. Thank you for your help!
The intake pipe is 19mm O.D. if I recall, which is extremely close to 3/4 inch.

Ok, good to know. Just walked to my neighborly auto shop and I think we may have a solution. Let me know what you think! Its sealed, and that's the most important thing I think....

View attachment 192099
If it works, then run it. That rubber will eventually harden and crack from fuel and oil exposure, so be aware of that potential issue down the road.

If it works, then run it. That rubber will eventually harden and crack from fuel and oil exposure, so be aware of that potential issue down the road.
Will do. I think i'm going to swap it for a G2 setup pretty soon down the road, but I think this will run. I'll let you know when I finish the install and start it up. Thanks again for the help!

Will do. I think i'm going to swap it for a G2 setup pretty soon down the road, but I think this will run. I'll let you know when I finish the install and start it up. Thanks again for the help!
Let us know how the g2 works please. Just picked up the menace 85 which is a chop top phantom motor and was thinking about same intake

Back