Phantom 85 or minarelli

Minarellis have alot more potential down the road, and it will run you less up front depending on the bottom end you pair it with.
Oh? The founder of the P85 facebook group has a V2 phantom with some mild port work to open up he intake,, a G2 reed setup with a PWK22 carb and a KTM 85cc aftermarket pipe fabbed to fit and he just went 62mph on his Felt Faker build and damn near scared himself to death in the process. He believes it could probably go even faster if he really wanted it to.

Potential down the road...

Oh? The founder of the P85 facebook group has a V2 phantom with some mild port work to open up he intake,, a G2 reed setup with a PWK22 carb and a KTM 85cc aftermarket pipe fabbed to fit and he just went 62mph on his Felt Faker build and damn near scared himself to death in the process. He believes it could probably go even faster if he really wanted it to.

Potential down the road...
Most people aren't brave enough to do that to an expensive engine. I am on the fence about porting the head in my BT80 because of how expensive the engine was.

Most people aren't brave enough to do that to an expensive engine. I am on the fence about porting the head in my BT80 because of how expensive the engine was.
Eh, the P85 itself isn't really that expensive at the end of the day. $300 for an entire kit, a kit that comes with some better quality standard components than most, such as the CDI, throttle and grips, the proper 415HD chain, etc. A good Minarelli build would probably cost about the same at the end of the day I imagine.

The bigger appeal of the Minarelli builds for a while was that they were reliable since the owner had to put it together and there was a lot of experience from builders to sort out the details over a few years. The Phantom had some growing pains due to poor decisions by the manufacturer. Now that they basically have the engine bein built to the original designer's specs. the reliability issues have been mostly sorted. The exceptions being problems from the typical spectrum of china doll engine problems, all of which can be sorted by the end user.

That makes sense. I've always seen the minarelli builds hitting stupid speeds, not really of the phantom. It does make sense the phantom would be able to go stupid fast because it'll go 50 stock

That makes sense. I've always seen the minarelli builds hitting stupid speeds, not really of the phantom. It does make sense the phantom would be able to go stupid fast because it'll go 50 stock
The Phantom just benefits from the port timing and shaping of a very powerful chainsaw design. The stock Phantom port timing numbers are something a typical 66cc engine dreams about in it's fantasies. Combine that with a particularly well designed transfer port system with a velocity stack inspired lower to middle that propels a high velocity charge to extremely well shaped uppers.

This isn't to say the Minarelli builds can't have the same thing, because they do. I find the Stihl transfer design used on the Phantom to be superior, but otherwise accept that the Minarelli engines are equally capable of serious power.

What the Phantom provides is serious power and potential for more in a simple and easy package. Stock they can do 45-ish MPH with a 14mm Bofeng carb and with no expansion chamber of any kind. Performance levels that a 66cc engine had to be worked over very well with a proper pipe and bigger carb to even dream of achieving.

The Phantom just benefits from the port timing and shaping of a very powerful chainsaw design. The stock Phantom port timing numbers are something a typical 66cc engine dreams about in it's fantasies. Combine that with a particularly well designed transport port system with a velocity stack inspired lower to middle that propels a high velocity charge to extremely well shaped uppers.

This isn't to say the Minarelli builds can't have the same thing, because they do. I find the Stihl transfer design used on the Phantom to be superior, but otherwise accept that the Minarelli engines are equally capable of serious power.

What the Phantom provides is serious power and potential for more in a simple and easy package. Stock they can do 45-ish MPH with a 14mm Bofeng carb and with no expansion chamber of any kind. Performance levels that a 66cc engine had to be worked over very well with a proper pipe and bigger carb to even dream of achieving.
I’ve ported and balanced and added all the mods you can imagine to my china doll and I expect that I’m pushing about 4 hp right now so I really want to take it to the next step

I’ve ported and balanced and added all the mods you can imagine to my china doll and I expect that I’m pushing about 4 hp right now so I really want to take it to the next step
My BT80 is supposed to have 4 hp stock, but the BT80 does have a much larger exhaust port than the regular 66cc engine.

My BT80 is supposed to have 4 hp stock, but the BT80 does have a much larger exhaust port than the regular 66cc engine.
Then I might actually be making about 5 then because I got one of those cylinders that have open transfers and a wider exhaust and intake and my bike hits the powerband at 30 and rockets all the way up to 45 on a 44 tooth sprocket snd 29 inch wheel hopefully I can take my bikes on a dunk one day

Back