Phantom 85 piston

They're selling them like "Hot-cakes" for $269! Mine has about 50 mi. with no issues.
If they sold them for $50 mabe I would bite... I'm not sure but they fail around 300 miles from reading about it

What has changed in the last 2 months?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-143545.png
    Screenshot_20220519-143545.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 102
The phantom is the only engine that doesn't have a spare jug available... only the full kit How many red flag does it need... So they don't plan on making more once there sold out... Stihl for example would be around and available everywhere with a real nikasil coating... Just parts availability alone sells a saw jug conversion... Now compare Stihl dealer parts quality to phantom... Prices are competitive because there's more than one place that sells Stihl... By about a million... Or Ken Hinson at Scuttle Bucket bikes on Facebook if you want a built motor... And there's the minerelli from Southern customs... DLH performance has kits... Grubee has Don Butler motors ...and if you're one of those chosen few RDM/Smolik might follow through and get you a motor after ghosting you for 6-12 months when they feel like doing business...
For me it's going to be just fine with the 47mm PK /Grubee/ and the Zeda triple... I will get one of those Zeda jugs to compare it to the others and because my motors came with the older style... CDH power is having the best consistency across the board then California motorbike (eBay)then BGF (eBay)then cafemotoracer... (Trugether)...

Redesign to use the G clip tang to hold the 10mm pin in with 12mm bushings... There was a thread that mentioned to use c clips and discard the G clips... And there was a thread about using a bearing and needing the rod to be reamed to use a 12mm pin... But .001 was too difficult to machine for the OP... So basically disregard any advice on criclips by Street Riderz because bicycle engines relying on the g clip tab to hold everything together is what this post is saying... And disregard the bearing diesel Tech found and go with the multi bushings setup... so in my opinion the issues with the phantom 85 aren't fixed as of the latest edition... Just another cheap fix to sell it... I would tend to trust a builder who doesn't sell these...
That stuff was written some time ago when it was all still true...If you read what I said, This is the newest specifications on the P-85.

What ever its been over a year ago has NOW been finally fixed and redesigned over the last 8 months and this problem no longer applies, Phantom has fixed the issue.

Gasoline was only a couple bucks a gallon a year ago, now its close to 6...Things do change, (but not all things are an improvement...lol.)...The Phantom has been fixed, redesigned and improved since their problems began over a year ago...Third times the charm.

Sometimes, you can be somewhat difficult to reason with, there are some reputable vendors out there and when BikeEngines say something is fixed, changed, etc. It usually is...That was then, this is NOW, not last year or 8 months ago, but NOW....Again, Phantom has fixed this issue.

I have 2 Zeda triple 40 engines from bicycle engines Amazon site they came with bent studs not from shipping and they were the older style not the open transfer jugs as advertised... $400 out of 15k of my total MB parts investment... There right there with the window pistons with the rear facing ring pins and a broken seat from eBay except I got my money back
And thats why I always mention their 6 month warranty on their kits, they honour their warranties and thats also the reason I buy directly from them if they have something I want and not through Amazon warehouses on their kits.

The way they fixed the problem is what I don't like... But doesn't matter they said it's fixed and I don't have to do business with them

The way they fixed the problem is what I don't like... But doesn't matter they said it's fixed and I don't have to do business with them
I prefer a needle bearing vs bushing. Last longer and less troublesome. I want a phantom, but I want one with a needle bearing like in a chainsaw. Shouldn't be so hard to just swap them to a needle bearing at the factory. Not much cost difference either.

They DID fix it, with needle bearings this time, NOT BUSHINGS, what more are you asking them to do, I will listen to those that have now actually bought them and are reporting to us on how they are running right now like Triplehelix and Mony0_3 that are now running them and will keep reporting back to us...I do not believe in spreading more FUD, (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) at this point on the redesign, just sit back and see what now happens since they have addressed the issue with an actual needle bearing fix!!!

You do not have one Mossy and to my knowledge, you are not running any MB at this time, I'm listening to the longtime members that actually are.

I prefer a needle bearing vs bushing. Last longer and less troublesome. I want a phantom, but I want one with a needle bearing like in a chainsaw. Shouldn't be so hard to just swap them to a needle bearing at the factory. Not much cost difference either.
Diesel Tech has the bearing for you... .1mm too big for the rod so it will need a ream...

Back