Phantom 85 piston

They fixed it with needle bearings this time, NOT BUSHINGS, what more are you asking them to do, I will listen to those that have now actually bought them and are reporting to us on how they are running right now like Triplehelix and Mony0_3 that are now running them and will keep reporting back to us...I do not believe in spreading more FUD, (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) at this point on the redesign, just sit back and see what now happens since they have addressed the issue with an actual needle bearing fix!!!

You do not have one Mossy and to my knowledge, you are not running any MB at this time, I'm listening to the longtime members that actually are.
The needle bearing there useing needs bushings on the pin at the piston and the only thing holding it together is the arm of the G clip... And please show a picture of your 2nd gen phantom 85 you know something about... But anyone with experience with pistons and pins can clearly see this fix is another bogus cheap attempt... A 12mm pin in a 12mm piston and the needle bearing to fit it has been discussed... Worked out and buried under the BS about the bogus fix is what I'm about...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-133057.png
    Screenshot_20220519-133057.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20220519-133031.png
    Screenshot_20220519-133031.png
    510.4 KB · Views: 133
They went with the bushings in the piston probably a RDM/Smolik/Robert Bianchi collaboration to fix it in house... And bicycle engines sells RDM clutches so there's a connection

Moderators Note:
It was not "probably" fixed in house by the above mentioned entities, This is a factory correction from the Phantom Manufacturers themselves...There is NO connection with the aforementioned entities.

It would be nice that if your gonna post pics as proof, that you would at least post the URL so we can see that this is actually an older pic BEFORE this current generation of motor that I am talking about.

This kit is what I used. It was a runner on the stand, but when mounting it on the bike, I inadvertently pulled the head stud out of the case. Should have TIG welded the holes shut before re-drilling, The spacer is 3/16" aluminum. With the head bead bolt pattern being slightly different, I used aluminum screws and plugged the holes, then re-drilled. Since the new holes were half in the stud, the thread got pulled.

EDIT: for got the linkn : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJ6EW58/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually balanced the assembly for high RPM. This is that jug on my CG....

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Dang, going through my Amazon orders, I realized I bought TWO jugs, sure enough, went to the back of the shop with all the spare parts and there's a brand new one in the plastic. :) I didn't have the Bridgeport when I made that last hybrid, but now I'm going to up the game on a new one. Was hoping to start a Harley rep build, but will probably tackle this first since it will be a much shorter term. Took me one evening after work to build the last one (and another eve splitting the case and balancing for high RPM)

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_171240.jpg
    IMG_20220520_171240.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 133
They went with the bushings in the piston probably a RDM/Smolik/Robert Bianchi collaboration to fix it in house... And bicycle engines sells RDM clutches so there's a connection

Moderators Note:
It was not "probably" fixed in house by the above mentioned entities, This is a factory correction from the Phantom Manufacturers themselves...There is NO connection with the aforementioned entities.
The current generation uses a different connecting rod (ZMN100) and comes with a 12mm wrist pin and uses a 12x16x15 (idxodxL) needle bearing which is the same spec as an MS460 saw. No bushings in the piston to use a smaller wrist pin and needle bearing. That fix was never sold with the engine when they still had the wrist pin bushings. They linked to another site that showed that fix, but stated doing so would void your warranty. They don't even have the link to the site to do that fix up any more.

Though it seems the bushing versus the needle bearing dilemma was solved by Phantom Manufacturing, there are other ongoing problems that were not previously reported on until @ImpulseRocket89 brought it to light with some extremely detailed information and photos that have not been addressed as of yet...Click on the link below to that information and ongoing discussion on these other ongoing problems that, up till now, were not previously reported and are still ongoing at this present time.

The needle bearing there useing needs bushings on the pin at the piston and the only thing holding it together is the arm of the G clip... And please show a picture of your 2nd gen phantom 85 you know something about... But anyone with experience with pistons and pins can clearly see this fix is another bogus cheap attempt... A 12mm pin in a 12mm piston and the needle bearing to fit it has been discussed... Worked out and buried under the BS about the bogus fix is what I'm about...
No matter what the arm on the g clip is what all needle bearings and wrist pins on all 2stroke motorized bike pistons depend on for Thier support. I ran into same problem with my yd100 had with it having a zmn100 connecting rod in it which takes a 12mm needle bearing and yd100 pistons are made for 10mm needle bearings. I ending up making a lil bushing to fill up the gap in between the 10mm wrist pin and 12mm needle bearing and I also had to file down on both sides of the inside of the piston so the 12mm needle bearing could fit in between it but it works and runs great now with my g2 Reed and windowed piston I just installed it my newly ported cylinder.

No matter what the arm on the g clip is what all needle bearings and wrist pins on all 2stroke motorized bike pistons depend on for Thier support. I ran into same problem with my yd100 had with it having a zmn100 connecting rod in it which takes a 12mm needle bearing and yd100 pistons are made for 10mm needle bearings. I ending up making a lil bushing to fill up the gap in between the 10mm wrist pin and 12mm needle bearing and I also had to file down on both sides of the inside of the piston so the 12mm needle bearing could fit in between it but it works and runs great now with my g2 Reed and windowed piston I just installed it my newly ported cylinder.
You can also simply buy a yd100 piston that uses a 12mm wrist pin so the 12mm bearing works without need of a bushing. They do exist.

Back