Phantom 85 Temp Sensor

FrizzleFried

Local time
5:00 PM
I do not want to install the temp sensor that I use in the normal fashion... which is to fasten it between the spark plug and the head... as such I am considering locations to expoxy/JB Weld the sensor.

I've heard differing opinions on where temperatures for the Phantom should be taken... with one camp being at the top/head area and the other camp being at the jug.

I'm reading hotter temps at the head so I think i'm aligning with the "at the head" camp. I guess it all really doesn't matter as it's relative and as long as your comparing apples to apples or oranges to oranges it's doing it's job.

In any case... I'm thinking of epoxying/JBwelding the sensor to one of two locations...

TEMPLOCATION1.jpg

I figured I'd gather some opinions before I went and did it...

I would say B personally. Instead of epoxy I would drill and tap for a smaller bolt and clamp the sensor down with a large fender washer. You want it on a solid mass and putting it on a fin will cause it to read incorrectly. Just my 2 cents.

How thick do you think that section is? Why don't they put fins there? Maybe a structural thing. It's likely my inexperience by I'm none-too-keen on drilling in to it. Maybe a hole through a fin where (A) is... Bend the sensor at about 1/4" from the end of the at 90 degrees (closer to about 85% leaving a little bit out so that it can be mounted on the fin with the sensor facing down toward the head surface... with the little "spring" left in that bend push down and then mount to the fin using a nut/bolt (since I don't have a tap/die set) along with a tiny clamp of my choosing.

That would allow me to remove the sensor if need be, etc...

Back