Phantom 85 upgrades

Juicyjayocean

Local time
12:23 AM
When I get my phantom 85 what is stuff that could be upgraded to start break in like what pipe is best do normal pipes fit it or do I need something special and a welder what about the magneto should I just throw on the supermag from bbr that I have sitting around and let's not forget the carburetor is there a better carb I can get remember I'm a top speed guy even if it takes a minute to get there plenty of open road in the country 5 mile straight aways stuff like that you know

How are they going to know I used a different pipe or carb only if I say I did so I don't see the harm

When I get my phantom 85 what is stuff that could be upgraded to start break in like what pipe is best do normal pipes fit it or do I need something special and a welder what about the magneto should I just throw on the supermag from bbr that I have sitting around and let's not forget the carburetor is there a better carb I can get remember I'm a top speed guy even if it takes a minute to get there plenty of open road in the country 5 mile straight aways stuff like that you know
If you read over the installation manual, you will also read that if you make any changes to even the air filter system, that will void your warranty totally, so I can only imagine that changing the carby with whatever air filter it is using would do this as well.

The same goes for ANY modification from stock including pipes, electrical etc.

WARNING: The motor is designed to run correctly with the Air Filter
provided. Removal, or any modification of the filter assembly voids
warranty and may cause the motor to run rough and/or produce less
power. If your installation will not allow you to fit the carburetor
correctly, there is a special Angled Inlet Manifold available from
ZTMOTO, to solve this problem.

Stick with the Conventional Valvoline 2 cycle racing oil or the multi-purpose 2 cycle Valvoline with these Phantoms...NO synthetics

WARNING: External fuel filters can cause failure of small two stroke engines. The included petcock (fuel valve)
filter is more than adequate. If an in line filter is supplied, discard it.

Valvoline “Two Stroke Racing Oil” is highly recommended. Use Valvoline “Two Stroke Oil” as an alternative which is readily available
at most Coles, Woolworths and Bunning’s stores.

WARNING: Synthetic oils or blends in these motors can cause premature failure of bearings and seals. Use of these types of oils will
void warranty.

And once again, PLEASE don't forget the breakin proceedure on these Phantom beasties.

Phantom 85 motor break in.
20:1 = 6.4 ounces oil per gallon of gas = 310 miles for break in proceedure.
25:1 = 5.12 ounces oil per gallon of gas thereafter.
They also mention that in high heat conditions or if used aggressively after breakin, stay at the 20:1 ratio.

The only thing I can add to this is apparently, according to the instructions manual on these Phantoms, they do not take kindly to almost any modifications you would want to make from their stock version of things...They are plenty fast and powerful enough for any bicycle just the way they are and from what I have read thus far, people who have modified them, especially during the breakin period, have lived to regret straying away from the stock setup with these little beasties...lol.

Here is the complete ZTMoto Phantom 85 installation and instructions manual just in case you never had it...Its in PDF format...When you click on it, it will just immediately download to wherever you have your downloads go to on your computer for offline viewing, It becomes your personal copy for easy referrence.

Attachments

• ZTMoto-Phantom85-Installation.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 251
WARNING: External fuel filters can cause failure of small two stroke engines. The included petcock (fuel valve)
filter is more than adequate. If an in line filter is supplied, discard it.

This little tidbit has me wondering if these folks know WTF they're talking about. Why? Well... everyone knows the petcock filter sucks [edit: Let me be clear...it really doesn't suck... it's more or less out of sight out of mind and when it gets clogged, it's a PITA to replace vs an in-line.]... AND Bicycle-Engines.com includes an in-line filter with their Phantom 85 kit (because THEY know more about this crap evidently than the author of that manual).

(because THEY know more about this crap evidently than the author of that manual)
They have self admitted to me that they employ NO mechanics/technicians whatsoever...If ever necessary, they send out any motors, etc with warranty claims to an independent operator/contractor that is a mechanical technician in order to validate or void in a warranty situation.

This is like saying the car salesman selling you the car knows more about the proper maintence etc. than the car manufacturer...This is how quick lubes make their money I might add, by recommending services every 30 thousand miles when the manufacturer says most of these service are not due until 50 or 100 thousand miles on most modern cars that are manufactured in this day and age.

They are just a retailer with no more knowledge than what the manufacturer tells them.

Likely true, but doesn't change the fact the whole fuel filter suggestion is suspect at best...(from the manufacturer)...

Likely true, but doesn't change the fact the whole fuel filter suggestion is suspect at best...(from the manufacturer)...
I wouldn't know since if you see pics of my bike, you will never see an external gas filter on it...I have never had the in the tank filter ever clog on me but that might be because I always make sure the tank is totally free of anything that might be in it during its manufacture...I also make sure that my gas jerry jugs are kept in a place with no dust, dirt, etc and always wipe down the spout tubing before refueling.

Back