Phantom Ghost Kit

Nice clean lines. Well done. Brrrr. Your wind chill would have been well below zero. Being from the south I'm not well adapted to cold weather. I remember one January where the temperature in Little Rock dipped down to 90 degrees and 200 people froze to death(tongue in cheek).

Thanks 2old2learn,
I have learn what to wear by just looking at the temp. As soon as it gets in the high 30's the ski bibs can be taken off and a lighter weight gloves can be worn. In the high 40's the insulated jacket liner can be left at home and a heavy pull over can take it's place. When it gets in the 50's a sweat shirt over a t-shirt and polo works fine.

I like having a pannier, to me it's a must to have a place to put the cloths that you peel off as it gets warmer. It's not unusual to have it 10 to 15 degrees warmer for the ride home or you find that it was warmer then you thought half way through the ride out.

Your using the same technique I use in my backpacking, easily removable layering! Since I dislike having to stop on the trail to take off my backpack to adjust my clothing, which can cause hypothermia, I wear removable cycling arm sleeves with silk long johns underneath, wool gloves, balaclava, hat with full brim and neck string, long wool socks and cycling leggings that Velcro on. This way I can quickly adjust my clothing, generally while still on the move. More than once I've had hiking partners get overheated and have to stop to change clothing and by the time they get swapped out, their in the beginning stage of hypothermia. In deep cold, you want to stay moving and when you stop you better build a fire first thing or shelter up.

I know this is a reply to a super old post but i cam across this when researching a headlight for my motorized bike. I want a similar look to the phantom bikes but I have struggled to find info on how they wire theirs up until I came across this post. I can now tell they are somehow drawing power off the fly wheel with a magnito. Do you by chance still have this bike and can show me detailed pictures of the entire set up? Thanks!

The engine in the Phantom came with a small bolt-on magneto which is powered by the engine and provides spark to the plug and the headlight. I tapped off the unit to power the tail light after discussing that with the Phantom folks in California. I assume that attached might work with similar 4 cycle engines.

Back