Phatmoto my 18mph motorcycle

K

Kevinmiller85

The Phatmoto is a brand of motorized bicycle that has possibly covered the motorized bike to perfection. Oversized rear sprockets and gearing are beautiful to climb hills. The 79cc motor keeps up on steep inclines. Yet it is set to not go faster then 20mph. Even modified it can only go 35mph.

Yet all this being said, many states in the US say this is a motorcycle. In my state, this means I can ride in the middle of the road on any roadway. With no minimum posted speed limit, I can get killed riding in the middle on a curve behind a semi truck going 65.

This is stupid, and as the Phatmoto refines its bike will no doubt become the most popular bike in the US. Horse Power and engine size dont make me a motorcycle. My max speed being 20mph make me not a motorcycle by any means. But this 79cc is essential to climb hills.

Now I want to take my bike accross the USA with a bike trailer. Not too complicated, I am a die hard outdoorsman. But even with all requirements met to be a motorcycle, other states say I need their states license, or are not allowed on their highways. Some even want me to have a giant colored flag on the back. And all this ammounts to nothing? Because I am a 20mph motorcyclist from Illinois who paid for his rights as a motorcyclist?

There is a major gap in the law, and the main focus of these low speed bikes should be aimed at keeping people without the ability to aquire licenses able to travel for work.

But no matter how we want to define the law, even my local police are scratching their heads and agreeing that whatever I am riding they wouldn't call it a motorcycle lol.

I live in Reno Nevada. Where can I find someone who can not only assemble this bike for me. But maintain routine maintenance on my bike on a regular basis? Because I am not mechanically inclined 🤓

The Phatmoto is a brand of motorized bicycle that has possibly covered the motorized bike to perfection. Oversized rear sprockets and gearing are beautiful to climb hills. The 79cc motor keeps up on steep inclines. Yet it is set to not go faster then 20mph. Even modified it can only go 35mph.

Yet all this being said, many states in the US say this is a motorcycle. In my state, this means I can ride in the middle of the road on any roadway. With no minimum posted speed limit, I can get killed riding in the middle on a curve behind a semi truck going 65.

This is stupid, and as the Phatmoto refines its bike will no doubt become the most popular bike in the US. Horse Power and engine size dont make me a motorcycle. My max speed being 20mph make me not a motorcycle by any means. But this 79cc is essential to climb hills.

Now I want to take my bike accross the USA with a bike trailer. Not too complicated, I am a die hard outdoorsman. But even with all requirements met to be a motorcycle, other states say I need their states license, or are not allowed on their highways. Some even want me to have a giant colored flag on the back. And all this ammounts to nothing? Because I am a 20mph motorcyclist from Illinois who paid for his rights as a motorcyclist?

There is a major gap in the law, and the main focus of these low speed bikes should be aimed at keeping people without the ability to aquire licenses able to travel for work.

But no matter how we want to define the law, even my local police are scratching their heads and agreeing that whatever I am riding they wouldn't call it a motorcycle lol.
Whats your point?
Also ive seen the phatmoto top at 50mph with Governor removed upgrade carb and exhaust and swapped sprocket the 50t is for low end.
As for laws yes every state is different but even in states they are illegal you have little to worry about on a phatmoto
Your legs cover the motor for the must part "IF" a cop pulled you over which i doubt would happen whats he going to do? Hit the kill switch before pulling over always peddle when you ride and your good to go. Get a 49cc sticker tell them it dont go over 20mph and is = in power to a 500watt ebike which is 250 watts under the legal limit.

Back