Phatmoto Rover issues and different motors on a phatmoto frame?

simontrimble

Local time
10:19 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a phatmoto rover 2020 and have been having a few issues with it. The pull cord works half the time and when it doesnt it doesnt catch and im just pulling string. It also grinds and dies if in an idle or stopped unless given gas and ridden. Any suggestions? This is a beautiful frame and Im wondering what other engines could possibly fit it?

So, have you contacted the seller of your phatmoto? It seems the builder did not test the motor before selling it to you. The pull string issue is common for this engine. Most of the time you just take it back to Harbor Freight for a replacement. Then test before installing. But here you are working with a middle man which complicates the situation.

However, here is a link to a replacement starter: https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/recoil-pull-start-for-predator-79cc-212cc-301cc-engines.html

And here are a series of videos on repairing the pull starter: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=212cc+pull+starter+repair

I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
I just ordered the fat tire version of the Phatmoto and I would like to eventually replace the engine with something more powerful but it appears the 196/212 Predator/Tillotson engines are a little too large to install because the bike would not be very comfortable to ride even if I could get the 196/212 engine mounted in the frame.

Does anyone have a recomendation for a 4 stroke engine that has more power than the 79cc Lifan engine that comes in the Phatmoto that is smaller than the 196/212 engines?

Thank You Very Much :).

I just ordered the fat tire version of the Phatmoto and I would like to eventually replace the engine with something more powerful but it appears the 196/212 Predator/Tillotson engines are a little too large to install because the bike would not be very comfortable to ride even if I could get the 196/212 engine mounted in the frame.

Does anyone have a recomendation for a 4 stroke engine that has more power than the 79cc Lifan engine that comes in the Phatmoto that is smaller than the 196/212 engines?

Thank You Very Much :).
Honda gc190 and gc160 are reported to fit the AT with minor modification of the mount plate on the bike.... Drilling one hole and enlarging another, iirc. You'd need to make an adapter to mount the clutch/primary chain cover, since the cover mtg holes are offset from the holes in the hondas block... And adapt the throttle cable. Other than removing the gc190 tank etc, that's most of it. Reports say it's a nearly bolt-on conversion good for approximately 50mph top speed.

For op (if they're still around) - your noise and other symptoms could well be caused by a dry clutch bushing. Be sure you've lubricated it according to the instructions included with the bike and that you re-lubricate every few hours of run time (one drop of 30wt oil where the motor output shaft goes into the clutch bushing). If the problem is in fact a dry bushing, this will fix it if there's no damage.

Hope this helps!

SirLurksAlot...thanks for the Honda GC info above.​

After looking at the ARC web site (they make billet rods and flywheels), I am leaning towards a Honda GX200 or smaller engine or a Briggs engine. That is just based on which engines ARC makes a billet rods and flywheels for.
This is a link for the ARC web site: https://www.arcracing.com/billet-connecting-rods/

That's for the gx160. It might or might not fit gc or gs versions. If you should decide to try the more expensive gx, check it's height specs and compare to gc/gs height specs - the gc/gs 190 engines barely fit the AT and don't fit the rover, if reports are correct.

Hope this helps!

Edit - i forgot to say yvw! Hope you have a great holiday!

The Honda GX200 dimensions are 12.6 x 14.8 x 13.6...L x W x H.

The Honda GC190 dimensions are 13.6 x 14.5 x 13.0.

The Honda GS190 dimensions are 13.6 x 14.5 x 13.5.

The GC/GS use a timing belt to drive the cam where the GX uses a chain.

I believe the GC crankshaft rides on a bushing where the GS/GX crankshaft has bearings.

The Briggs LO206 is a little smaller than all of the above engines and puts out more hp and more torque.

My bike should be delivered today...not sure which engine I am going to try after I get tired of the Lifan 79cc.

All feedback/recommendations are appreciated :).

Starting a new thread with the info above....."Phatmoto AT Engine Options".

Back