Phoenix Police wanted to ticket me!

Bill,

Please email me a copyof the judges decision at corkysmotobike@gmail.com. I also have quite of collection of emails from AZDOT, Peoria City Code (they consider our machines to be motorized "toys"), Arizona Statues, and emails between myself and the City of Peoria (this is the agency I had the hardest time with). Surprisingly, the most poistive response I got was from a Lieutenant in the City of Phoenix traffic control dept! If anyone wants any of these documents email me at the addy above.

I have a few people who are interested in purchase e-bikes, but they are hesitating about purchasing it because it has a motor. I told them the motor isn't strong enough to be a scooter or motorcycle. It should be only 50 cc. They don't believe me about the law. That is why I need your help! I got to find the AZ law for motorize e-bikes. There is only one e-bike company in Phoenix and this is what the e-bikes look like if you look at the link. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/bik/742746768.html.
These is the new models for 2008. I don't want these people who purchase the e-bikes and get harass my the police. If they do get a ticket from the policeman what should they do? Should they present this case in front of the the judge and fight the ticket? Is it possible to win these case. I have been searching and searching for an answer. Please help me, Thank you!
I have copies of all of those laws, house bills, Peoria City code, emails from AZDOT, and much other info. Hit me up at corkysmotobike@gmail.com

Corky

I have a feeling it's pretty much the same in all states. Motor vehicle law's are in a grey area. In California a motorized bicycle is not a motorcycle. A scooter requires a headlight visible up to 300 feet. An MB is technically a Moped, and requires a one time registration. An electric motor bicycle doesn't require a DL, and can't go over 20 mph with pedal assisted. A gas MB cant go over 30 mph, and must be pedal assisted. See what just happened. I'm going over 20 mph so I must need a license and a registration. This is from the DMV website and California vehicle code. For lighting you have to migrate to a different section of vehicle code. Basically Motor Vehicle code says everything has to have a Head lamp, Tail lamp, Brake light and turn signals. It does note specify between vehicles.

I may need to ride home from work, so I want to see ahead of me, and not lose any teeth, or break an arm.
I don't want to be questioned as to my bike legality.
I put so much time and money into my MB, and enjoy riding it.

I'm going to put all working lights on my bike and register it as under 50cc, and not able to go over a certain speed.

As for needing a DL. They'll just have to catch me.

poor poor person

Wow, there's probable cause for you..... alley, motorized bicycle, 3 am = probable crime being committed..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its going to be some poor dude headed for work just got the bike outta the garage and trying not to wake the negiborhood going down the alleyway vs cop thats gotta a i dont give a $hit attitude and your in my city mentality thats gonna arrest you for just being.. ( sounds like glendale Az.) been there done it seen it

I e-mailed you Corky.

Send me what you have and I'll see if I can get some support from smaller agencies than the state legislature to help next year, like city council, the Mayor of Phoenix, and maybe even the new governor.

Can't hurt to keep trying but heck, I have never been hassled but I can sure see how some people can be...
If you are racing around on some POS with just a coaster brake and no safety gear on the sidewalk you SHOULD be stopped before hurting yourself or others as that is idiotic on an epic scale.

here in michigan you need to register it for 15 bucks and its good for 3 years. and i prefer it that way. i think that little tag on my bike keeps cops off my back, knowing that it is registered with the state and must be legal. either that or cops around here just know the law better. though it does kinda stink we have to go through the crap at the DMV and have a license. not a problem for me since i have a license and its my 2nd form of transportation. i can see how it would be a problem for those who cant have a license and its their only way to get around, though.

Back