Phoenix Police wanted to ticket me!

Zev0

Local time
8:44 AM
Well, here it is Easter Sunday. It's 82 degrees and sunny out. So, I felt like a little ride was in order. So, off I go. Speed between 15-17mph. I'm enjoying myself, going down the city street called 3rd St. Only 1 other car in sight in either direction. Guess what? Out of a sidestreet comes a Phoenix City Policeman with sirens blaring. I, of course, shut off engine, pull up into driveway to get off street, and stop. To make a long story short, he wanted to know where my license plate was. I told him this is a motorized bicycle not a moped. I showed him the copy of the AZ Statute 28-2516. He said, you're on a moped. I just let him know that I wasn't going to argue with him. No drivers licence, no insurance, no plates. He said he could have ticketed me for over $800 worth of violations. But after a few minutes, he recognized me due to the fact that we worked crowd control together before at the Suns games. So he let me go, pedaling the remaining 2 miles until I reached the safety of my residence.

I'm certainly going to investigate this further. I mean, come on now, can we or can we not ride these motoredbikes without being hassled?

I'm almost a little leery to continue riding, but since this is my only means of transportation, I have no choice.

I have sent the following e-mail to the Chief of Police and hopefully this will clear things up either way.

"Message:
March 23 I was stopped by a patrol car while I was riding a motorized bicycle. The officer said it was not a bicycle but was a moped and required Plates, insurance and a valid drivers license. He then showed me the moped law 28-2513. I tried to explain to him, that what I was riding was not a moped but a motor-assisted bicycle which is covered under statute 28-2516. Was told by officer that he would let me go, but not to be seen riding again. Sir, I am totally confused. Am I, according to law permitted to ride a motor-assisted bicycle or not. My bike fits all the requirements. Under 50cc, I was only going 15 MPH, and was riding on the northbound side of 3rd street next to the curb. Also, I would just like to inject that I am not a young kid. I'm 64 years old and not tearing around. Please Advise. Thank You in advance. Sincerely"

I'll let you know what the response that I receive is.

Man, how to get Arizona police up to speed on the law pertaining to motored bicycles, big problem!

MMMMMmmm this thing just boils me. I could totally see this cop in control of this all,not wanting to admit to fault. MMmmmm.

Out here in Colorado,I ride the trails all the time and pass cops engine running on the sidewalk even. They don't bother me.

I could see maybe if you were a kid.

FYI

Wednsday, I did send the Arizona EMail to the mayor and all the council members of Pheonix.

Thanks. And oddly enough, when I told the officer that there have been other police that just wave and smile at me, he said, "well they just don't know the law like I do" Sheesh, wonder who really doesn't know the law. LOL

unless phoenix makes a by-law banning motoredbikes...you ARE legal
I went through this here in FH
I can send you a copy of the judges decision (4 pages)if you want

You can guarantee in every police force around the world there are a small minority of police officers with nothing better to do than fine people for the most trivial offense.

Instead of doing some real police work some of them would prefer to go out and issue fines to the 'hardcore' criminals; ie mums, dads, grandmas who jaywalk or who didn't look left, right and left again before crossing the street.

Much easier to increase revenue from fining hard working citizens for the most trivial of things. That small minority of imbeciles in the police force give the whole force a bad name.

Back