• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

Photos of My Bike with Honda GX31

madbikebloke

Hello,

Hopefully I have attached some photos of my Bike . It is in a bit of a mess at the moment , it has been used on a regular basis since I built it about 4 years ago . I used a Honda Gx 31 driving through a Staton 5:1 reduction gearbox to an intermediate shaft . This allows the drive to be transferred to the opposite side of the bike via a freewheel , and is then geared down to give approximately 176 RMP at the roadwheel . The rack it is mounted on was brazed together from box section mild steel tubing.

I then put it all in a "Ketter" top box to make it look nice.

I really enjoy using this bike , it has given me a lot of pleasure .

Thanks for looking

Madbikebloke

Attachments

S

SirJakesus

Thats a really unique design you have going on there. I like how darn stealthy you made it. If you've been riding it for 4 years I can forgive you for how dirty it is I guess :)
Now it's time to get another one so you can break that one down and give it finishing touches and new paint! Nice bike, very custom.

J

JemmaUK

Hi,

Its an interesting design and as SJ says dont worry about it being dirty - mine was a mess about 10 minutes after I first rode it :)

I like the idea of enclosing the engine and reduction gears as it means it keeps things cleaner and would probably reduce wear a bit..

sounds like you enjoy using it too - whats the performance like? My bike is a schwinn with the GEBE 32cc which gets about 30-31mph on the flat - is yours comparable?

Jemma xx

madbikebloke

It only goes about 15 mph on the flat , but if Wales was flattened out it would be twice the size of America:D

Where I live we have some rather large hills , so I have geared it down to be able to climb hills that it would be difficult to walk up.

I wanted to make it unobtrusive so that it would not attract attenention form the local constabulary , riding one of these bikes is illegal in the UK at the moment unlass it is Taxed ,MOT'd , has passed an SVA test , carries the appropriate lighting and is insured. ( oh , and the user has to wear a crash helmet) In fact , it is classed as a motorbike , and if I get caught using it on public roads , I will face a fine and Penalty points on my driving licence.

Abosolutely Mad , isn't it :???:

I am planning to fit it with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in the near future . This will give me 3 gears to make it go a bit faster on the flat.

This is a GREAT FORUM , I am very happy I chanced upon it .

Thank you for the interest.

'Bloke

madbikebloke

Hi JemmaUk,

Just re-read your post , Sorry , didn't realise where you were from .

Nice to meet a fellow enthusiast , even if you are English :D

Best Regards

Madbikebloke

L

Large Filipino

From a distance that looks like a radio! That's an awesome stealth job!

Skyliner70cc

Wow! Be careful, you'll probably have the US military knocking on your door for stealing their stealth technolgy. I love it!

madbikebloke

Hi All ,

In response to a PM I received recently , please see photo of my GX31 powered bike with Staton 5:1 reduction , now fitted with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer Aw hub ( old english 3 speed ) instead of the original "intermediate shaft" arrangement .

It does 20 mph flat out , but it will climb hills that you can barely walk up . Due to the amount of torque on the rear wheel , I have fitted a HOPE 48 Spoke SAS rear wheel .

The beauty of this set up is that there are no rollers or belts , it is all chain driven and the bike behaves as a perfectly normal bike when the engine is not running , ie the wheel doesn't try to drive the gearbox . The Engine has a centrifudal clutch .

The Sturmey Archer hub has been fitted for about a year now ,and copes with the torque very well .

Many Thanks

Attachments