Pics and progress of the GoblinAero

The GoblinAero is AWESOME! :eek:

BTW, it's good you made an Aerodynamic bike! You get more MPG and on windy days, it won't kill you to ride!!!

It's still a tricycle, so it's legal as a MB. I'm glad finally someone has the guts to make a small bike-car for the MPG!

Don't worry about people jumping your guts here at MBc, they just get too worried that they won't ride anymore if someone gets in trouble. As long as we push the positives and benefits more and focus away from the negatives, people will be riding Mbikes for a long time. It's up to the responsibility of the rider as to what they do, and you shouldn't have to worry about that with sales, because once someone buys it, the reponsibility is now theirs. (the buyer) They will be safer for everyone else being on a bike than behind the wheel of a car again!

Honestly, for the price, and complexity of a GoblinAero, you would be more responsible driving that anyway because you have to be more alert and you will come to appreciate what it takes to have transportation, and will most likely focus on getting a car again, keeping the GoblinAero as a backup vehicle.

BTW, 30mph MAX is not that bad at all. You have to be able to sprint once in a while.
IMHO 20mph is way too slow anyway, if I'm capable of pedaling 18-20mph pulling a 60lb trailer behind me with the engine off, then having only 20mph for engine use is just silly.

AWESOME TRICYCLE IDEA!!!! And I know someone may want over 50cc on one ;)

It's not only good, it's absolutely essential the group promote responsible MBing looking out for our best interest. While I admire your youthful enthusiasm, IIRC, weren't you posting a while bacK about a troublesome LEO on your case? Why do you think that was?

The laws of state legislatures end up covering definitions with blanket generalizations once something becomes obvious. As well, liability issues won't necessarily mitigate if one is promoting something outside of those definitions, despite whatever personal appeal it might contain.

Where I live, we have a defined MB code and it states 25mph is the top legal speed. That might sound silly but it is the law, and one from a safety standpoint, I have absolutely no problem with.

Don't worry about people jumping your guts here at MBc, they just get too worried that they won't ride anymore if someone gets in trouble. As long as we push the positives and benefits more and focus away from the negatives, people will be riding Mbikes for a long time. It's up to the responsibility of the rider as to what they do, and you shouldn't have to worry about that with sales, because once someone buys it, the reponsibility is now theirs. (the buyer) They will be safer for everyone else being on a bike than behind the wheel of a car again!

IMHO 20mph is way too slow anyway, if I'm capable of pedaling 18-20mph pulling a 60lb trailer behind me with the engine off, then having only 20mph for engine use is just silly.

I condone responsible riding as much as anybody, which what I was just stating in my previous post. Would you rather have repeat DUI offenders driving cars, or motorized bicycles as far as the "public safety" is concerned. The motorized bicycle is an OBVIOUS SOLUTION!

Go re-read my 6.5HP trailer thread to refresh your memory. I never got in trouble for driving fast on a motorized bicycle.........EVER. And still haven't. What happened is the dummy thought my trailer was a Pressure Washer that I was stealing from someone by mistake. I was riding a rusty old bicycle with the trailer freshly built, NO lights, and was profiled as a thief due to the area of town I was riding in. I have since painted it black, changed the wheels, red LED behind the engine, tons of lights, and changed the bicycle and have decals on the engine.

And the FUNNY thing is, when I'm going SLOW or PEDALING by a cop is when I've been pulled every time! When I fly by them they actually leave me alone and just watch or sometimes ignore me! I also leave the engine running and rev it sometimes when around cops now so they know it's propelling me and they actually leave me alone. I now have a horn and will use that too.

Also I wouldn't have just spent a BUNCH of money on an Electrical System and CAR HORN and helmet if I wasn't concerned with safety. And the new clutch springs I just got to make going 20mph easier weren't cheap either.

I'm enthusiastic NOT because of my youthfulness, but because of my openmindedness that has also grown better with age! I hate age discrimination, of any type. I'm almost 30 years old, and more and more over the years our society trys to lower our values based on age and now highschoolers are being treated like children instead of young adults like years ago. When do we become an adult now? 30, 40, 45? WTF? BS! What you do in life matters no matter what age, and I've seen 10 year olds say much more intelligent things than 50 year olds, so age is irrelevent.

I like to see new ideas and people trying new things, and thinking for themselves. People shouldn't stay in the box, and confine themselves and their thoughts to what everyone else does for worry of acceptance or what the social majority may think. It has seemed a LOT in the years of my life that people are afraid of new ideas, or anything that makes them have to think, because it makes them uncomfortable and the mass majority of people also seem to label free-thinkers and their activities as a threat, instead of taking that extra bit of brainpower needed to understand, and accept freethinking, enthusiastic motivated people for who they are.

New ideas, and letting go of fears, has created major positive movements with Humanity. This new tricycle with a 50cc engine and a body may be another example of one of these ideas that comes to be when someone DARES to think outside the box!!!

Last edited:
I'd really rather have repeat DUI offenders driving neither, they're dangerous liabilities and give everybody a bad name.

.......they just get too worried that they won't ride anymore if someone gets in trouble
You darned right, I've too much into it, MBing is currently in that shadow area of the law where things could go either way, outright banned or lawfully defined and part of the legal lexicon. It's what killed the moped boom in the '70s and the reason so many rusty moped "barn finds" are now surfacing. It's not age discrimination to point that out I hope, just history.

Thinking 'outside the box' is fine if it doesn't get you a night in the box. Unfortunately, often it's one of those expressions that has become cliche akin to 'if it feels good you should'. I wonder why someone found them self stuck in a box to begin with.

One can talk about being responsible but it gives pause when I see a sig line that talks about a near 200cc 50 mph MB. Sorry, that's not outside the box but outside the law as far as motorized bikes and moped law are concerned and commonly going to be defined as the displacement of motorcycle.

Augidog has posted here about his need for speed and he's done something about it, formed a racing club that sanctions MB racing, neatly attempting to accomplish two things: It takes it off the street and legitimizes it by being a regulated and club sanctioned, publicly supported and hopefully commercially sponsored, spectator event. That's not only thinking outside the box, it's thinking like a fox

cater to dui ones ? hope not

A lot of people that get DUI/DWI have plenty of money and can afford to buy personal transportation that will keep them out of trouble.

In the meantime, I'm having a blast with this thing. :shifty2:

Jeff in Tucson
Hi Jeff

a fine looking machine that you have built there

yes -- even though there are some
can not get a license types (due to dui) right here real close

some states have already called out exemptions regarding MBs for them
no motor bikes to be ridden by dui offenders

as stated above
going out of your way -- in any way to cater to these ones (dui)
may upset the many states MB friendly laws in place

a thought to remember
the dui guys are already out there and waiting for these products
in their states may be legal -- maybe not
they will find you
and then as the other venders do -- tell them to look up the laws concerning their state

not to make it harder in the long run for those wishing to

ride that thing

Last edited:
I'd really rather have repeat DUI offenders driving neither, they're dangerous liabilities and give everybody a bad name.

I understand what you mean Happy Valley.

I don't drink alcohol at all, but I still believe that DUI offenders still need a life, and a way to get around. Worse case, they can still ride a pedal-bicycle. You do make sense though, some of those types DO make a bad name and continue to be irresponsible, but also a lot of DUI are just average people that were drinking and got caught driving one time with alcohol on their breath. They deserve a chance too.

Augidog has posted here about his need for speed and he's done something about it, formed a racing club that sanctions MB racing, neatly attempting to accomplish two things: It takes it off the street and legitimizes it by being a regulated and club sanctioned, publicly supported and hopefully commercially sponsored, spectator event. That's not only thinking outside the box, it's thinking like a fox

That's awesome!!! You make a good point there too. I may have to send him a PM. Racing a group of motoredbikes would be fun.

Now just because I have 196cc and capable of going 50 doesn't mean I'm going that fast all the time.:eek: I'm just very proud of what I built, and will proudly display it in my signature! My 86 Toyota Celica can go nearly 120mph , but I didn't drive it that fast all the time. See? I built the trailer for transportation and hauling my stuff, not racing, and I'm mostly doing only 20-30Mph (typical for the average MBC rider) and obey traffic laws, and because of the LOW speeds I drive mostly, I'm trying to look and act legal and ride accordingly. It's easy to notice the guy with the big engine that goes fast, but there's folks here with 5.8HP (or more) 50cc moped engines that are going FASTER than I am!

The GOBLINAERO is great. It's still just a tricycle with a Honda GXH50 but has a body. It's just as legal as everyone else around here with bikes and trikes with 50cc engines, and most people here, and on youtube I see do over 30 with their 50cc or 80cc engines.

I hope the GoblinAero is a success. The more motored bikes on the road, the more society and the "law" will come to accept our unique forms of transportation.

It'll have turn signals, brake light, head light and tail light. It may also have a buggy whip style
safety flag on the roof adn a yellow strobe light up top.
I've gotta tell ya... driving this motorized trike around town has been an absolute blast. When
there are no cars around, I spool on up to 30. When I'm 'in the mix' I keep it at about 20.
I'm looking forward to driving it around with the fairings. I already need carrying capability and
the front fairing will keep the cold morning wind from watering up my eyes. Even though I wear
safety glasses, I've been driving around with tears streaming backward and dripping off of my
ears at speed... cool!
I've learned from my riding experience that I'll need a minor vertical support at the rear of the roof.
This will help to lessen 'flapping'. I might use a dual pinned aluminum aero rod or fiberglass rods.
Car drivers seem to like the Goblin. Cyclists like it as well. Only one cyclist expressed dislike of it.
Surprisingly, roadies (in their tight shorts and all) have been the most enthusiastic. From the rear,
this thing looks like an insane mechanized super fast wheelchair! Jeff in Tucson

8 days since jeffs been here. Im sure he was excited to share his new creation. What a bummer for
him reading what his orig post has turned into. Im positive he's not promoting horse power and alcohol.
We/I need him to stay here. Those with vision, inovation followed by creation are the core people in
the trenches in the development of future MB design.

"I'll be selling mostly through DUI/DWI attorneys"
Yes, I wish he would have worded this different. I think he does too. I might be alone here but
im ready to get back to asking him MB questions.

Responsibility is exactly what the GoblinAero is about. A 'true' motoredbiker
follows the law, correct? Isn't that part of the 'movement'?

OK, im ready to pull this thread back into sucking his MB knowledge from his brain. (If he comes back)
Obviously he is bigger than given credit for.

This vehicle is designed by industrial designer, Jeff Bales. He has been seen on national television
shows including HGTV, '"The Big Idea" with Donny Deutsch, TLC, and various news programs.

Jeff participated as a designer and racer in the World Human Powered Speed Championships in 2003 and
received the Best Sportsman award. He built a fully streamlined recumbent racing bicycle designed to compete
with the world's fastest cyclists. The current world record using human power alone in a streamlined bicycle
is held by Sam Whittingham. Sam has gone 81mph on a flat stretch of highway using no motor... just his legs!
The same technology that goes into exotic streamlined racing bicycles is used to produce the GoblinAero high mpg vehicle. http://www.bentrideronline.com/

Cool idea! It looks good, nice and bright and arrow dynamic!

I'm a little concerned like many about promoting these things to people who have had a DWI. Regardless of the size of the vehicle, anyone who has been drinking should not be behind any wheel (or handle bar!) I know you are not advocating driving while intoxicated, but you have to be careful, and REALLY dont want to market the goblin as a safer alternative to driving a car drunk. In NY, even riding a regular mountain bike while drunk will get you a DWI here... we dont mess around- So in the end it would still be a DWI.

With that being said- the main reason why I was going to build a motorized bike was because I have had a DWI, and the DMV doesnt want to give me my license back (**** dmv... but we wont go there). So a motorized bike was practical. Too bad NY doesn't not allow motorized bikes of any kind without having a license.

Just be careful in how you market the bike-- if you are not careful you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

8 days since jeffs been here. Im sure he was excited to share his new creation. What a bummer for him reading what his orig post has turned into. Im positive he's not promoting horse power and alcohol.

I agree with most of the sentiment you're expressing and think you say it well and you're in the right place on this.

I don't think there's necessarily a 'bummer' attached with this though, anyone is going to have to pass muster on opinion. Think how much more acute and focused that might get in the larger sphere of public opinion in general. Thin-skinned will not be an asset.

We/I need him to stay here. Those with vision, inovation followed by creation are the core people in the trenches in the development of future MB design.

Again I agree, but also I'd like to see some semblance of a unified 'mission statement' (for lack of a better term) developed that worked to promote the long term acceptance and legal sustainability for all MB enthusiasts, particularly considering the question might arise how that is to be accomplished between the small industrial designer commercially forced into DOT compliance without leaving the backyard builder behind.

Riding any conveyance under the influence is not ok. Just because it's lighter doesn't mean you can't kill someone when you hit them. A bicyclist can kill a pedestrian if he's going fast enough. I don't think anyone is condoning drunk operation of a vehicle, but saying that someone who is busted for DUI still deserves the right to drive is so wrong. When you demonstrate irresponsible behaviour like driving drunk you should be forced to take the bus.

Back