Pictures of my 1952 Hawthorne

Around here it seems appropriate to show what ya got,
so here she is.
Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. Some guys don't like to use a step thru frame but you pulled it off quite well.
It's neat the way you made the finish on the engine kit components (chain guard, sprocket) match the patina of the bike.

It would be nice to say I installed the engine and matched the patina; but all I did was get it running well.
When my friend (who knew I was looking for a motor bicycle) brought it to me, the carburetor would flood the engine with fuel to the point where it dripped out of the exhaust at a steady pace.
I blew out the engine with compressed air to expel the fuel from the crankcase and adjusted the float height in the carburetor.
Adjusting the clip one notch higher on the carburetor's jet needle lowered the needle to lean out the fuel mixture just right.
A great improvement was installing a EV3-10 spark plug. That made it much easier to start, and also seemed to improve low speed torque. (The torque may just be my imagination though.)
In the future I may change the spark plug to a EV3-12 as I have read here at this site that it has a beter suited heat range for these little 2-stroke engines.
I do not want to damage the little Chinese piston because the spark plug is too hot. For now the EV3-10 spark plug is a nice dark brown color, so it stays installed.

Back