Pineapple Sprocket Mounts @ Spooky Tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molotov256

Local time
1:54 AM
Harboring as much dislike for the stock ragmount sprocket adapters as I do, I'm always intrigued by alternative sprocket mounting methods.

I stumbled across these "Pineapple Sprocket Mounts" at Spooky Tooth, and I'm not sure if they're a good idea or not. They still drive the wheel by the spokes, but they'd undoubtedly take some of the guesswork out of truing the sprocket.

Anybody try these yet?

I have never heard of one or seen one before.
That is definitely a different kind of mouse trap, so to speak.
It seems like a reasonable alternative to the rag mount. I would like to know if if is gentler on the spokes or not. I am guessing not.

Things that make you go mmmmm... i'm thinking too that it be rough on the spokes.

Anyone own this? Or any reviews? Vendor comments?

Thanks! :)

srdavo,

thats good to know. If you had a second to decide, which drive sprocket mounting method would you use and why?

Thank you. :)

Hmm, cool! If this style mount has been used successfully on spoked bicycle wheels in other applications, then I think there may be hope. That'd be good news, because I recently ordered a new rear wheel for my 2nd bike with intentions of ordering another Manic Mechanic clamshell mount from Pirate Cycles, but they're out of stock for the next several weeks. If this is a viable alternative I may have to give it a go and see how it works out.

srdavo,

thats good to know. If you had a second to decide, which drive sprocket mounting method would you use and why?

Thank you. :)

I've assembled a couple dozen rag-joint sprockets & only one ever had problems. (4 broken spokes after 2 years of hard use)

thanks dave,

I guess i'm "mechanically challenged".

I'm going to adjust the joint again...

Dave, lets say you HAD to choose another option. What would you choose and why?

You can PM me if you'd like so as to not p__s off any of your advertisers.

:)

Last edited:
diving the other side

I have a Kings adapter that has a "top hat plate that bolts to the disk brake mount on a six bolt mountain hub.Works grate but I did have some problems to start with. It started coming undone a few miles after I assembled it so I rebuilt it and used blue lock tight to keep it clamped down.

After all was said and done I wound up spending more money on the wheel than on the engine.It took a shimano disk brake hub and a set of spokes and a eight speed cassette and a good rim. Lucky for me I build wheels (the wheel is still going the motor is toast) The main thing is that the force is directed to the hub and not the spokes and it is just about dead center so there is not a lot of worry about having the chain fly off due to a miss positioned rag joint. I had to spend another forty dollars on hardware and lock tight the mounting hardware in to make it stay but it was worth it. PLus I now am running a 36 tooth sprocket instead of the 44 that came with the kit so it lets me go at a bit faster rate.

mike

mike

Attachments

• mtn road.jpg
    mtn road.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,494
Last edited:
Mike,

Thanks for sharing. Your wheelset looks bulletproof!

I hate to be a pain, but is there any way you can PM me or post all the rest that was needed besides the tophat and the vendors/ cost breakdown please?

I have spoken to Andy at Kings several times - nice guy, and great idea/ product.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back