pinging noise

Is it possible that your engine is "four stroking"? That's when a two stroke is so rich it fires every other revolution, like a four stroke engine. Sounds even, but very choppy, not smooth and buzzy like a two stroke.

I watched the vid, but I can't tell anything from it....sounds like an old model A. :???:

i was told by a reliable source(roland) that if you change your oil,gas mix from 20-1 to 30-1 it will shorten the life of your engine i still run mine at 20-1 and my bike runs great. i guess if you run your engine lean it doesen't lube the piston as much which can't be good.............

Vinnie- I guess we'll see how it works out in the long run. As I've stated from a lot of experience with two stroke engines, too much oil is as bad as too little for different reasons. I am not telling anyone they SHOULD run 30-40 to 1, but I personally would.

These engines (also as stated previously) come with instructions written by the manufacture (Chinese) and the type of oil they use would probably be O.K. at 20-1 just to keep enough lubricant in the fuel. (I can go into more detail here if you wish, but suffice to say the oil "over there" is really, really bad.)

However, modern made in the good 'ol U.S. of A. oil should be more than sufficient at 36 to 1 or 40 to 1. Case in point- we used to run our big two stroke ultralight aircraft engines at 24 or 36 to 1, now we run the very same engines at 40 or 50 to 1, the oil being the only difference.

For those of you that will still want to run 20 to 1 mixtures, I would suggest you keep a close eye on carbon build up in the exhaust, rings and piston dome and clean accordingly. I'd pull the pipe and or head every 20 hours and have a look. At least check the plug (not the best indicator) every couple of weeks and see what it looks like.

I'm guessing these engines should run about 250 hours before they need a rebuild? Maybe less based on the technology (or lack thereof).

i use pennzoil synthetic outboard oil for 2 stroke engines at 32-1

the problem seem to correct itself within an hour of riding, went to 30-1

Outboard oil is definitely not for these applications, I would advise you to switch to either Penzoil for AIR COOLED engines, or another synthetic, but not for one outboard applications.

They are two different types of two stroke oil.

Air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled outboard-type engines and require a lubricant formulated for their unique lubrication requirements.

Outboard oils have a lower flashing point and tend to burn up early in air-cooled engines, causing carbonization and eventual ring sticking.

Because of this, BIA, TC-W and TC-WII oils can promote the formation of deposits.

Also, this may be your cause of pinging....

you all make great points, even though the oil carton does say for use in air cooled engines. I'll switch and see if it helps. thanks everyone.

Back