Piston arrow possibly printed incorrectly?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27734
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27734

So I've been riding on my new motor for a couple weeks now. I've removed the cylinder head today to install a high performance one, and noticed the arrow was pointing toward the intake. I'm very new to this, but I've heard that if it is not pointing toward the exhaust it will break the engine. If it's been working just fine from the beginning is it fine, Or should I flip it?

Undoubtedly your motor is now broken....

Naa.. :) Don't worry about arrow.. Just make sure ring openings are towards the intake side of the cylinder.

Undoubtedly your motor is now broken....

Naa.. :) Don't worry about arrow.. Just make sure ring openings are towards the intake side of the cylinder.

How would I go about checking the rings in the most simple fashion?

Remove cylinder head. Lift cylinder away from bottom end to expose the piston. Tolerances are pretty negligible on these things from what I can gather.

Make sure you align the ring openings with the locator pins on the piston when you reassemble.

Remove that head cover again, carefully lift the jug, be careful though or you'll rip the base gasket. It is very thin. Also becareful not to drop debris into the crankcase at this point, it will be exposed. ******** If you decide to do this I suggest already having another base gasket on hand just in case. And also torque down the 4 studs into the case.

So I've been riding on my new motor for a couple weeks now. I've removed the cylinder head today to install a high performance one, and noticed the arrow was pointing toward the intake. I'm very new to this, but I've heard that if it is not pointing toward the exhaust it will break the engine. If it's been working just fine from the beginning is it fine, Or should I flip it?
It is fine!
The triangle mark is correctly pointing at the intake because one or two Chinese
factories make them that way and yes the ring end pins are facing the intake.

Even if the ring ends were facing the exhaust it would not break the engine because
the ring ends would still be away from the exhaust port opening on the side so they
would not snag on the port.

However when you take you take the cylinder off you will probably break the rings or
mess something else up.

Back