piston bearings

U

urbancombat

anybody ever have 2 stroke piston bearings fail? what happens? Is there a knocking/clanking before they go, or is it sudden? My engine runs ok, just curious, I'm getting toward the rebuild vs. replacement phase.

Apparently the Grube's make a big deal out of this upgrade to P-5 bearings, wonder if any Grube fans can testify to this.

I remember reading that if the RPM goes over a certain point that you can be sure the bearings are damaged. Technically the bearings aren't the problem, it's the cages. The needle bearings have to be contained, yet the case for them is the weakest link. It's funny that these happy time engines with roller bearings wear out before a villiers engine with a decent brass bushing even begins to show it's age.

BSA

what exactly defines a "happy time" engine? Mine was not a super deluxe, and it runs ok, I just have a slight leak into the clutch case, need to fix that.

Grube is now listing 202 and 203 bearings on his site. I just wonder how much these engines are....

Happy time engine is the chinese 2 strokes.
I believe it is possible just to buy the bearings and fit them yourself. I was going to do that but then I decided to sell it. DO a search for roller bearings or needle bearings and you'll find much information.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
needle bearings

where do the go I bought a bottom half of an engine of a web site and they were attatched to the engine with a string, I assumed they were spare part and skipped that step. Presently my engine back fires every other spark

Does anyone have the specifications for the dimensions of these bearigns or bushings? I'd like to see if I could cross reference a high grade industrial roller bearng to fit mine.

I think the wrist pin rollers are 10mm, but don't take my word for it. I remember reading that someone replaced there bearings with Stihl ones with great success.

BSA

Where can I get a bushing or a brearing, for my engine. I have heared that this is the first thing that goes. My bike is high milage. I want to just replace it as a maintenance thing. Want to know where I can get the part before I take it apart.

Back