piston mods to lighten weight see pic

JerboaJohn

Local time
6:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is really that bad, but at first sight, i was like Pfft lol. thinking it over, the holes are small, and think they probably are on the opposite side. it happens to be a zedamotorsports modded 47mm piston. it really isn't horrible I think like this but I was taught material should be removed all the way around, inside like from a lathe could do or a mill.
is this structurally sound like these holes? seems too simple, but I haven't done anything to em besides trim skirt on the intake side.

Moderators Note:
Please be aware that Zeda Motor Sports and Robert Bianchi have nothing to do with Zeda itself which is a manufacturer of Zeda Motors in China.
A reputable vendor of the Zeda line of motors can be found at bicycle-engines.com

untitled.jpg

Just a guess. A little mass reduction and a little help in lubrication and cooling of the skirt, and lub. of the jug? My question would be do we see this on any of the 2 stroke motorcycle engines? If not then why not? Maybe the motorcycles don't use this because of quality nikasil plating. The less hanging weight you have the less needs removing from the cheeks, but if that's it's only benefit then might just as well do it all at the crank. There will be some real 2 stroke guys pipe in and clear this up for us.

I lol'd whwn I first saw that but starting to think it may be a good idea. Since those holes are between the transfers and ports it wouldn't effect how it runs other then the added balance and lube And slightly more case volume. I do have scuffing in that area on some of the old jugs. If the chrome jug goes on I'm thinking of trying it out.

How much weight have they actually removed?
There is weight that can be removed: material from the inside of the piston skirt, where it varies in thickness for no apparent reason.
I did that to my piston and still only took 1.5 grams off the stock weight! So I would think those holes removed less than one gram...
Suggests they had another purpose. Maybe it's just decoration/ to make it special modded High Performance. 🙄

Last edited:
More of Roberts stupid s**t!The holes are only on the intake side witch makes piston weight uneven,they serve no real purpose and no real 2t's do it!

so Robert is just doing that trying to be slick like he's got a thing? no wonder he doesn't say what weight (or show his porting)

see how the holes are below the ring retainers,you cant make intake that wide so it's done for weight reduction but doesn't really make sense since it's now uneven.
I ment on the other side and it is.

I ment on the other side and it is.

Again this is just Rob's f***ery this is the piston shown and it's description states not for reed use.https://zedamotorsports.com/collect...-super-stock-r-ported-cylinder-no-reed-needed This one is his windowed version and he call's the extra holes oilers.https://zedamotorsports.com/collect...y-finshed-ported-reed-z80-cylinder-round-port If there were finger ports in the jug then maybe but as I pointed out they are under the pins so snaging would be very likely.

Back