Piston ring Problems, uh o..

Jixz, Be specific on your engine size. I read through the posts again and I could'nt find the cc's Is it a 49-65-70 80cc This way people can put out a hunt for engine only. Or im just blind and cant see where you said it.

Last edited:
rawer.. ok i finally got the energy today to try to break down the botom half, and of course you have to take of the head block. Turns out there is some metal shavings that i either missed or made trying to push it on. So theres a small metal pin wedged on the piston, im not sure what it is or how the !@#!@ it got there, but the point is that it did. So i guess i need a new head gasket, but do i also need a new piston?

The metal pin in the piston is to locate the rings. Many people are unaware that it exists and break their rings when reassembling the cylinder.

what rings? ugh, i feel in over my head!!

I cant even get the cylinder off because the piston cant slide down!

Have you had your cylinder off before? How did you know about the pin in the piston if you haven't had it off. If you haven't taken it off then you did not make this mistake. There are 2 sets of rings in "most" 2 stroke engines.The fact that you can't get your cylinder off means that it has probably seized to the piston. Attached is a picture showing rings and the locating pin. If you can't remove your cylinder you may be in trouble.

Attachments

• 47mm_piston_rings.jpg
    47mm_piston_rings.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the cylinder off, first time ive taken it off.. so its not my mistake, but it is that pin, and boy dose that thing tear up anything in its way..

next question, how do you remove the piston from the rod?

Edit:

I took a look at the pins on my piston, and there both there.. but the one that was lodged inside the cylinder looks a lot alike.. any ideas what else it could be?

Last edited:
It is probably one of the pins out of the wrist pin bearing,after it let loose. There are 2 clips 1 on each side of the piston that keep the pin located in the piston and rod. Take both clips out and put one side of the piston up against a solid surface such as a couple of blocks of wood, then lightly tap the pin out using something the same size as the pin. ( ie. a socket and extension).

pictures? im so clueless i can't figure out what your talking about.. :[

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Edit:

got it :) ill have some pics of damage later, i really wana make sure this wont happen again.

and where can i get a cylinder and piston combo dirt cheap?

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the side view of the piston, rod, and crankshaft. In the pic you will see the little c clip inside of the piston pin bore, that is the clip that needs to come out. Use some needle nose pliers to squeeze it together and remove them.
Piston Pin Clip

Just try pushing the pin out before tapping it. it might come out easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
got it :) ill have some pics of damage later, i really wana make sure this wont happen again.

and where can i get a cylinder and piston combo dirt cheap?

Back