Break In Piston smoothing

Local time
12:47 PM
Anyone notice the ridges on the tops and sides of pistons? Do they serve any functional purpose? On the top, it just grabs on carbon but on the sides is it meant to reduce friction (less surface area)or does it damage the chrome plating more (abrasive)?

I got my hands on a really clean cylinder (needs some port work but pretty clean) and I want to know what steps I can take to make this engine last as long as possible.

You have some pics? Pistons on the sides should be machined smooth, top edge shouldn't have an edge to it unless some sort of new design for a purpose.

This is referring to machining marks left by the lathe that finishes the shape of the dome and side?
I'm sure some people have polished their piston. I didn't.

This is referring to machining marks left by the lathe that finishes the shape of the dome and side?
I'm sure some people have polished their piston. I didn't.
Yah, that's what I mean. I'm planning on polishing the crown (detonation prevention with summer heat) but idk if I should do the sides too

15534637585105659126554027243607.jpg

For the record, you can see the machining marks on the side but the polished (DIY) crown. Hopefully this helps somehow.

Back