PK80 CLUTCH PROBLEMS, BRAND NEW KIT FROM BMW.

danlandberg

Local time
6:15 AM
I just installed a 66cc "PK80" by runwell from BMW and there is something wrong with the clutch.
I started it 3 days ago, rode to the end of the block and back kept it running to adjust the idle (had to turn the idle screw all the way in) I shut it off.
Anyway I went to start it 5 min. later (for a store run) and the clutch would not grab enough to turn the engine over. So I replaced the pads. I adjusted the clutch the proper way and made it to the store.
. When I left the store I had one more stop to make (Walmart) I barely made it the 2 mile trip because the clutch was slipping.
I rode slow because I'm in the brake in period and to minimize clutch slippage. When I went to leave Walmart same problem, not enough clutch grip to start.
I adjusted the clutch in the parking lot (I always carry a tool kit with everything I need for these engines).
I have had to readjust the clutch 5 or 6 times in 3 days.
The clutch pads that came on this engine were so tight in the cage I broke 5 out of 15 but damaged the other 10. I replaced the pads with a set I had (red) on day 2.
Had to trim 13 of the 15 so they would fit the cage. I haven't found pads yet that fit properly. I'm thinking the spring preload is incorrect on the clutch shaft.
Anyone have any thoughts? And is there anyway to adjust the preload with out removing the shaft?

Yes, there is. You can remove the clutch cable stop, the thing that holds the barrel adjuster.
You have to loosen and remove the clutch cable from the actuator/arm first then unscrew the barrel adjuster from the cable stop and pull the cable through. Then unscrew the cable stop from the case. Shine a light into the hole and you should see the clutch main spring preload nut. You can hold the nut still while pushing the bike/rear wheel back or forward to screw the main clutch shaft through the preload nut, to adjust the preload on the main clutch spring.
You can add some extra grease in there before putting the cable stop back in.

Thanks. I heard a guy on utube say that it could be done that way. I got this kit to replace my GT5 Pro Racing that developed a vibration.
I looked in the cable stand hole and it was really dirty so it was hard to make out what I was looking at. So I knocked the shaft out, now I know
what I'm facing and what to do. thank you again.

Back