planning a build

emerald

Local time
12:00 AM
i recently was in an accident and now im stuck on my mountain bike, after research, ive decided a 4 stroke sounds right for me to strap onto the bike but id like to have the right things. i dont know what would make a good kit to buy, or what parts break or fail frequently that itd be a good idea to have spares on hand.

i recently was in an accident and now im stuck on my mountain bike, after research, ive decided a 4 stroke sounds right for me to strap onto the bike but id like to have the right things. i dont know what would make a good kit to buy, or what parts break or fail frequently that itd be a good idea to have spares on hand.
More detail are necessary in order to make better suggestions.

If you plan to use the mountian bike, then post several pictures of it from various angles.

Terrain is the next important factor: riding surface and gradient.

Then there's total weight: rider, bike, and hauling.

There's also budget.

Legality: knowing your local legal statutes and how strictly they're enforced

Last of all is your expections: speed, reliability, safety, intended use.

OP's gonna need a chain drive up there in the Arctic. Throw in some long johns, grip warmers and Eskimo boots.

More detail are necessary in order to make better suggestions.

If you plan to use the mountian bike, then post several pictures of it from various angles.

Terrain is the next important factor: riding surface and gradient.

Then there's total weight: rider, bike, and hauling.

There's also budget.

Legality: knowing your local legal statutes and how strictly they're enforced

Last of all is your expections: speed, reliability, safety, intended use.
i know cheap isnt usually good, but my budget right now is "whatever i can get", mostly just streets riding and some slight hilly areas, i weigh around 200lbs and i dont care that much for speed speed, i just know my average cruising on the bike is about 4 to 6 mph. id like it to make 30 mile runs at most usually, just to get to and from work. i also know id like to end up with a torque converter to make the hilly areas easier on the motor with the existing rear gears.

i know cheap isnt usually good, but my budget right now is "whatever i can get", mostly just streets riding and some slight hilly areas, i weigh around 200lbs and i dont care that much for speed speed, i just know my average cruising on the bike is about 4 to 6 mph. id like it to make 30 mile runs at most usually, just to get to and from work. i also know id like to end up with a torque converter to make the hilly areas easier on the motor with the existing rear gears.
What kind of grades are you dealing with on the hills. By the way my bike is a shifter bike I'm 250 lbs and live in the mountains.

1000005103.jpg

The biggest problem with the cheap 4 stroke kits is the requirement of wide cranks and the mecano puzzle that is the mounting plate. Could always mount it on a rack but the hard part about that will be drilling holes into a plate that then mounts to a rear rack or drilling holes into a rack to mount to directly (sketchy on most racks)

If you can get by with friction drive a staton kit with a gx50 clone would be cheap and reliable. With the .93 roller on a 26 inch wheel it will put out 60 nm of torque. These little hondas have almost flat torque curves.
Capture+_2024-06-16-19-39-09.png

With a 1 1/8th roller you ought to get about 50nm of torque if I'm figuring that right:
(wheel diameter/roller diameter) multiplied by (engine torque)

I recently bought just that, I'm in about 150 dollars for the engine but the shipping time on the engine is 10 days at this point with the eta being tomorrow afternoon. Kit cost me about 130 dollars with tax and shipping. It goes together in half an hour, very simple, no instructions necessary, but some are offered online. And it is very well made, tip to toe.

Staton Inc also makes chain drive kits. However, I don't recommend a eBay shift kit due to the low quality bearing in them. Gru🐝Bee would be the better company to go with for a shifter build.

The biggest problem with the cheap 4 stroke kits is the requirement of wide cranks and the mecano puzzle that is the mounting plate. Could always mount it on a rack but the hard part about that will be drilling holes into a plate that then mounts to a rear rack or drilling holes into a rack to mount to directly (sketchy on most racks)

If you can get by with friction drive a staton kit with a gx50 clone would be cheap and reliable. With the .93 roller on a 26 inch wheel it will put out 60 nm of torque. These little hondas have almost flat torque curves.
View attachment 214819

With a 1 1/8th roller you ought to get about 50nm of torque if I'm figuring that right:
(wheel diameter/roller diameter) multiplied by (engine torque)

I recently bought just that, I'm in about 150 dollars for the engine but the shipping time on the engine is 10 days at this point with the eta being tomorrow afternoon. Kit cost me about 130 dollars with tax and shipping. It goes together in half an hour, very simple, no instructions necessary, but some are offered online. And it is very well made, tip to toe.
theres alotta information in this reply and i understood less than half of it, im not going for peak performance , just faster than i can manually pedal without breaking every other day is my minimum wish for a motorized bike.

Back