Planning a new build

Hey all, I'm in the planning stages of a new build. Planning on a two wheel cargo bike with a flat rack between the pedals and the rear wheel. Going to use an older ezip frame as the donor and planning on mounting a Briggs right in front of the rear wheel. Not many details to give you yet, but let me know what you think. Going to start chopping and welding soon. Anyway, til next time...

I still have a few design details to work out, but it should be interesting. I'm trying to decide right now whether to try to make use of the rear suspension that's already there or to eliminate it entirely. If I decide to use it, that'll definitely complicate things when it comes to frame strength. What say you?

I still have a few design details to work out, but it should be interesting. I'm trying to decide right now whether to try to make use of the rear suspension that's already there or to eliminate it entirely. If I decide to use it, that'll definitely complicate things when it comes to frame strength. What say you?
I haven't seen the quality of the rear suspension design, but because you're willing to chop it I will assume it's a simple single pivot swingarm and probably an already inadequate shock.
The new bike will be a cargo bike capable of carrying even larger loads than most touring bikes, so the weight will vary greatly depending on loads being carried and the suspension should ideally be easily adjustable to suit. Space within the wheelbase will be very much a premium, and you'll want a damn good coil over oil shock. Designing a new suspension system for this application will be an added level of difficulty to say the least!
It is far simpler to remove the suspension and fit a large volume tyre instead. :)

The current suspension is single pivot with dual shocks. My only worry is the fact that I will be extending the rear of the bike and that the stock mounting points for the shocks won't really be enough to dampen the force on the extended swing arm. It'd definitely be easier to completely eliminate the rear suspension. But if I know, given enough time, I could accomplish an upgraded suspension system, would it be worth it?

The current suspension is single pivot with dual shocks. My only worry is the fact that I will be extending the rear of the bike and that the stock mounting points for the shocks won't really be enough to dampen the force on the extended swing arm. It'd definitely be easier to completely eliminate the rear suspension. But if I know, given enough time, I could accomplish an upgraded suspension system, would it be worth it?
If the cargo space is on the extended swingarm, and the engine is behind that, close to the rear of the extended swingarm, then IMHO no it wouldn't be effective at isolating the cargo or the engine from bumps in the road anyway.

Fair enough. I will focus more on elimination of the suspension in favor of structural integrity. The donor bike takes 16" rims, so I may upgrade the rear to a 26". Any suggestions on the front? I would change out the fork, but the head tube is extra long on this bike. It'd be quite difficult to find a replacement fork that supports 26"

Fair enough. I will focus more on elimination of the suspension in favor of structural integrity. The donor bike takes 16" rims, so I may upgrade the rear to a 26". Any suggestions on the front? I would change out the fork, but the head tube is extra long on this bike. It'd be quite difficult to find a replacement fork that supports 26"
It's a 1" steerer or 1&1/8"? Threaded or unthreaded? You'll just have to scour the internet auction sites etc and see what's available to you, I guess. I would always prefer equal sized wheels, personally.

The choice of tyres in 16" size is limited. I use a 16" Schwalbe Road Cruiser on my single wheel trailer. It's a medium quality tyre with decent grip and low rolling resistance, but that doesn't have anywhere near as much volume as I'd really like (though it has just as much air volume as the cheap nominally larger knobby Kenda tyre that was supplied with the trailer. If I could weld I would make the trailer take a 26" wheel!

There are usually lots of good used bmx freestyle wheels on the auction site. There has been a recent fashion for large volume tyres on bmx freestyle bikes too, so you could take advantage of that and get a set of 20"x2.3-2.5" tyres and some heavy duty wheels that are maybe considered overweight? You would have to rebuild the rear wheel onto your own hub if you plan on having gears, of course...

Last edited:
Hopefully this weekend I can post some pictures of what I have to work with. It should be an interesting build to say the least. And it'll definitely be a one of a kind piece

By the way, whoever reads this, I need ideas on what to name this one. Planning on painting it either midnight blue or periwinkle

Back