Planning on a long bike tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So i an thinking about this bike:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019U5XC9Q/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?psc=1

What do you think? Relatively cheap and has 7 gear speed which is nice.

My main concern with that bike is that the rear hub probably uses a freewheel instead of a cassette. Freewheels are an older (and cheaper) technology often found on low-end bikes. Here's a basic overview:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
You can click links within that article to find much more detailed info.

One of the drawbacks to freewheels is that the rear axle is more likely to bend or break when carrying a heavy load over the back wheel (that's just what happened to me on one of my tours). You could reduce that risk by carrying your panniers on a front rack, or use a trailer to take some of the load off the back wheel.

Also, low-end bikes tend to have cheap wheels. And cheap wheels are more likely to break spokes, especially with the added stress/torque of a motor in the drivetrain and the extra weight of touring. Be prepared.

Lastly, if you're new to touring, know that most (all?) rookies overpack. So, once your bike is motorized, load up your touring gear and do a local dry run before your grand adventure. If you'll be camping, find a local campground and spend a night or two. You'll quickly realize what stuff you really don't need, and maybe catch a few essentials you left out.

Enjoy your tour!

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If it is freewheel, can I upgrade it to cassette?
Its a different type of hub. The freehub is a hub and freewheel combined, that you slot the cassette onto. Because the cassette sprockets are separate from the freewheel mechanism you aren't replacing the freewheel mechanism every time you replace the worn down sprockets, so they can make the freewheel more expensive and better than the one you get built into a screw on freewheel cluster. This system also allows the bearings to be placed closer to the ends of the axle, which is why there is much less chance of bending the axle.
So, in short, you need a different wheel. Luckily ebay has plenty of decent used mountain bike wheelsets (and Google will tell you which ones are well regarded).

With or without a motor I really wouldn't want to tour without a freehub, a double wall rim, and stainless steel spokes. I have done in the past, when I was very poor and also foolhardy, but I have had broken wheels and been left carrying the iron crucifix for miles and miles, like some dreadful parody of The Passion of Christ lol! Don't let that be you.

Also plan your trip so that you can have parts shipped to you. This requires someone some where that will be your support crew. If you ruin a wheel in some places, your best bet will be finding a used bicycle with that type of wheel, because overnight shipping would be more expensive. On the other hand, you need to know the location of every bicycle store on the route, if you need a tire, you need to be able to find the closest.

You will be crossing the Continental Divide, on a motorized bicycle you will probably have problems with your carburetor. Better know how to tune the jets.

Flats, expect lots of flats, my brother and I made an 80 mile trip back in 1959, it seemed like we had to buy extra flat repair kits in almost every town we went through.

With a 4 stroke, you will need to change the oil, and change it often. I would make up an oil changing kit make that job as simple as possible. Lawnmowers call for an oil change every 40 or so hours. Not sure on you motor choice. Also check on air filter maintenance, probably going to need that done as routine maintenance.

One way to plan the trip is to run the Google map using a bicycle as the mode of transportation. Then search for bicycle blogs that bicyclists have written about area that you will be traveling. The writers of the blogs have been down those roads and will give some better descriptions of what to expect. The blog writers information will become your best source of reliable info.

Another source of info is George Wyman, he made the first trip across the states on a motorcycle, a converted bicycle. This memorial page is an interesting read. http://wymanmemorialproject.blogspot.com/p/project-goals.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back