Planning on building a 4 stroke bike, I have a couple of questions.

Local time
9:41 AM
So, I have enjoyed my time with my 2 stroke bike, its fast and fun, but starting for the first time each day is always somewhat laborious and I'm getting tired of it.

Im going to do a similar setup with this new bike, in-tank frame, front disc (I may get a rear disc brake hub laced for the drive sprocket) but I am not sure what powerplant I should use.

I'm debating a couple of different options:

1. get a 35cc 4 stroke kit ( and eventually replace the chinese engine with a honda)
2.get a 50cc kit (and again, eventually swap the engine for a honda)
3. 76cc predator with an upright mount (don't know if this would cause problems with a disc brake hub)

Im problably going to have a budget of around $700-$1000 for the whole deal

And on another note I've briefly thought about a 212 predator, but that's a bit much for what Im doing.

Any experience is appreciated

Thanks

If I was going to build another bike, I would go with the new Honda GX50 engine. Maybe you should check into Staton Inc. for a chain drive rack mount.

Ive been running a 142f for a few weeks and I weigh 140# or so. The 142f is big and needs a lot of space in the frame. If you're still scoping a bike, buy the engine first and then bring it with you to test it into the bikes for sale, such as at a bike rebuild shop or walmart. It's very tall because of the OHC design, and it took a week to get a frame to fit - 700c size, roadbike. Rides 700c 25 tires and with the stock seat, it was like riding a brick. Swapped in a cruiser seat, much nicer.

I like not needing to deal with premix, as well. Squeaks in just under the crossover of a moped law in my area. 25mph safe top speed, may be able to do 30 if I stick my ass in the air but that's not wise on potholey backstreets.

The kits are good for one thing: showing you full size representations of all the parts you need to buy. About the only thing I have left from my original kit is the tank. You're much better off buying individual parts and only doing it once.

Last edited:
This should give you a good start and have a little money left over to set up rear disc/sprocket adapter, double pull brake lever, and if you don't like the bent over riding position their should still be money left for a different handle bar setup.

Huasheng 144F-1G 53cc 4 stroke engine with integral CC | Grubee Inc

Zeda Screaming Demon V2 Engine-Ready Motorized Bicycle - Built In Gas Tank - Gas Frame Bike - Bicycle-Engines.com

49cc 4G T-Belt Drive Mounting Kit Only - Bicycle-Engines.com

That's a similar setup to what I have now, except I have the free wheel hub (it's alright, but a disc brake hub would be better, more sprocket options) and I'm going to build most of the bike and get the engine last.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a 79cc predator (problably going to mount it upright)

I'm going to price out l of the pieces and see what it will cost

A slight update, so I saw a video of phantom bikes on youtube a handful of years ago and I liked what I saw, looked pretty cool and had a 4 stroke engine. At the time it was well out of my price range (like $1,500 or something). Now, I'm going to sell my current bike to build a new.one ajd I thought "maybe I can finally get a phantom bikes ghost 26. Well lo and behold they stopped making gas bikes a couple of years ago, apparently because some law changed with gas motorized bicycles. Now they only make electric bikes which cost upwards of $3,000, same exact frame with some off the shelf electric conversion kit.

Needless to say I was (and still am) quite annoyed. But then I noticed that bikeberry sells the ghost 26 with no engine, it's out of stock (don't know if they're ever going to be in stock). Maybe when I sell my bike sometime after thanksgiving, maybe somebody looming for a christmas gift will pay a grand so for it.

I'm hoping that by the time I sell it they'll be back in stock, I'll make an attempt to contact bikeberry to see if they know. It would be nice to build a bike this way because it has everything except for the engine for $800.

I'm not toing to hold my breath, but ya never know.

Happy riding

Lots of the stuff you'll see on bikeberry, gasbike and kmb that went out of stock never do go back in stock. Idk why they are too lazy to remove discontinued items...

It is also on gasbike for $500 (also out of stock at the moment) and just about every other motorized bicycle supplier.

https://www.gasbike.net/collections...ducts/gasbike-motorized-bicycle-diy-bike-only

On another point, Phantom Bikes claims that their frame is custom, but from what I've seen they just put together a bunch of Chinese parts, stencil a phantom bikes logo on it and charge $3,000 for it....

Another thing I noticed is that almost all of the gas tank frames are sold out on all of the sites, so I hope that by the time that I sell mine they have another batch in stock.

Back