Plans for my first build.

cloakedvillain

Local time
5:35 AM
After many hours of reading and thinking I have found a set up that I am happy with: sixthreezero 21speed around the block for the frame. the vexpor 48cc kit for the engine. a custom rear wheel made with a moped hub, (drum brakes and easy sprocket alignment) 11 or 12g spokes and workmans rim (and tires) Still looking for a front fork with disc brakes though.(thinking about custom front wheel too)

I'm willing to spend too much on too little if it improves safety, (to the point where I'm going to buy motorcycle riding gear) and I am gonna go crazy on modding the engine after I get bored with the anemic little thing.(may take some time as riding a razor c35 at 15mph feels like im flying)

Getting all the parts ordered and put together will feel like this:
Overall I am looking forward to a fun summer project.
Before you say I'm young, stupid and crazy, I'd like you to know I am often called an old soul, my gpa is high, and I see my psychiatrist every 3 months. ;P

Welcome to the club friend. Your in for a learning curve for sure. There's a lot more to these bikes than it seems. If you're not careful you'll be like me, get a really good kit, and put it in a bike that was already falling apart, and have a bike that is breaking down over stupid little things.

Sounds good. I'm looking at a 44t or 56t rear sprocket as I have some good hills where I plan to ride.
Be aware that the larger the rear sprocket the more torque you get, but the less speed you get at a given rpm. A 56 tooth will be straining to do 25mph, and with the slower speed you also get less airflow across the motor, so it can be more prone to overheating as high rpm = more heat and more heat + less airflow = prone to running hot. There are also sprockets between 44 and 56 made by third parties. 48, 50, and 52.

Figuring out sprocket ratios for a new comer is always a challenge. It was for me. I have a 49cc 4 stroke that tops out at 24mph with a 44T sprocket. It'll climb any steep hill in town that is paved with no problem. I don't take it off road into the hills. I'm always thinking about hitting the pavement at 24mph. Scarry for this old man at 77.

I'm one of those Chronologically Gifted Old Farts...turning 80 in November. Did my 1st build on this Schwinn OCC chopper last year.

Attachments

• Goliad 12-4-21-0739.jpg
    Goliad 12-4-21-0739.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 81
Back