Pleasantly surprised by the performance of a 49cc kit

cloakedvillain

Local time
9:07 PM
Its got plenty of power even during break in. Now keep in mind I'm riding on paved surfaces but there are some good hills. I love cycling so I actually enjoy helping the engine.
Carbs a little leaky but nothing more than a small drop. I lightly sanded the mating surfaces with 400 grit sand paper and torqued to spec. Stock jetting seems a little rich as it wont run with the choke on, though it is nice to have a shut off that isn't stalling the engine or creating a direct fault in the ignition circuit.

The 49cc engines can be quite good in terms of power. In a good state of tune and decent ports they should at least be able to reach the 30mph max speed that many states limit mopeds to.
Its getting me what feels like 15 mph out of the box up appreciable but not extreme grades. Still breaking it in and I love how compact and light it is. Maybe adds 15 pounds to the bike. The chromoly frame is strong and lighter than it looks. It was designed for trails so it has to absorb all the bumps and shocks without relying on suspension. I've got a tach and batteries for my bike computer in the mail.

Its getting me what feels like 15 mph out of the box up appreciable but not extreme grades. Still breaking it in and I love how compact and light it is. Maybe adds 15 pounds to the bike. The chromoly frame is strong and lighter than it looks. It was designed for trails so it has to absorb all the bumps and shocks without relying on suspension. I've got a tach and batteries for my bike computer in the mail.
That's not terrible for out of the box. 44 tooth sprocket?

I would just stick with the 44. It's a decent match for a 49cc, especially once you start doing rhe work to bump up the power.
I bought that sbp jackshaft kit from machanic. I get paid every other week so the wednesday after I'll have the bike shop build me a rear wheel with a Sturmey Archer rx-rk3. Double walled alloy, 12g spokes, sealed bearings. Gonna cost more than the frame but a 26 inch wheel swaps to other bikes easy.

Rode my bike a good bit today and I will say it takes hills well; but since its still the break in period I was gentle with it. I did a WOT maybe 30 seconds and it really takes off if you can get it fast enough with the pedals. I think I had a 38 to 11 ratio on the pedal side to get it that high, it was a real dog to pedal.

Back