Please help. Holding in clutch a pop and bike won’t move

Jb78

Local time
12:43 PM
Hi I just changed out my back tire it seemed fine I was able to ride for a few days no problem than all of a sudden when I would hold the clutch to get it going it would pop and chain wouldn’t move. I noticed the chain was a bit loose after that so I adjusted tension and it work for one ride than did the same thing. I was messing around with it when I would push it Back and forth there was the popping sound and also the chain wanted to come off the sprocket. Also when I was doing this it would lock up and then the tension wire for the clutch snapped. I’m going to get another wire for the clutch anyone have any idea do I need to realign the rear tire? Thanks

your drive chain has jumped off the engine sprocket,...and is bound inside that teensy space between your engine sprocket and the crankcase?????

-OR-

your clutch "cam" has slipped/moved/turned,...making it either not go far enough,.. or it is going too far and allowing the clutch to re-engage,...stopping the wheel from moving. examine that clutch arm/lever/shaft/cam that goes into your engine cover. I think its called the "clutch actuator". find out where it is supposed to be,....and compare that to yours.

Is the engine sprocket parallel with your drive sprocket? It sounds as if something was loose or misaligned like Bobby suggested allowing it to ride up off of the chain or doubled up at the engine and it may have gotten stuck.

What sort of chain tensioner are you using and is it also parallel with the sprockets?

Is your clutch cable VERY taught allowing the clutch to fully engage when it's supposed to?

I had to install some spacers on the rear wheel(1.5" x 26") so that the rear sprocket would like up with the engine. I'm using the stock tensioner.

Everything looks aligned as I just have the tensioner that came with the kit the plastic that looked aligned also I’m going to see if it was the clutch cable when I get a new one the old one snapped making me think maybe that was the issue like Bobby said so I’ll try that first and if not I’ll get on the rear sprocket. Thanks for the help hopefully it’s will all work out.

I wasn't talking about the cable. I was talking about that lever that sticks out of your motor,...and the cam that is attached to that inside the cover. if its loose/shifted/moved/incorrect,..your clutch isn't going to work right.

honestly,...where do i ever mention the cable? people need to READ what is written,...and think out what they type BEFORE they hit the "post" button.

no offense,.. but over 1/2 the confusion on this forum is generated by lack of vocabulary skills and reading comprehension. and it gets old..

i certainly hope you make absolutely sure your clutch cable is indeed snapped before you go and buy a whole new one,..because steel cables just don't "snap" easily.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about the cable. I was talking about that lever that sticks out of your motor,...and the cam that is attached to that inside the cover. if its loose/shifted/moved/incorrect,..your clutch isn't going to work right.

honestly,...where do i ever mention the cable? people need to READ what is written,...and think out what they type BEFORE they hit the "post" button.

no offense,.. but over 1/2 the confusion on this forum is generated by lack of vocabulary skills and reading comprehension. and it gets old..

i certainly hope you make absolutely sure your clutch cable is indeed snapped before you go and buy a whole new one,..because steel cables don't "snap" easily.
I understand what you were saying about the clutch arm my clutch i mentioned the cable and it did snap the metal piece holding it into the bar popped off i have to get another cable to even get the bike to move. sorry for the confusion and for making you upset thank you again for the advice.

i certainly hope you make absolutely sure your clutch cable is indeed snapped before you go and buy a whole new one,..because steel cables just don't "snap" easily.

Sorry Bobby, that reply was aimed at me but you did indeed prove your point.

Back