Please help. I don't know much about this stuff?

I

Ian

Hey, i'm trying to purchase a two stroke motor kit for my huffy beach cruiser. How many u mounts do i need to buy? Do i need to buy additional breaks. And is there anything else i'm going to need to purchase in order to operate the bike.

I think that it should come with everything you will need to attach it, you'll need a chain breaker to make the one that it comes with smaller, get a large heavy duty one, I mean really heavy duty, those chains are as thick as my finger. It will not come apart with a standard breaker.

mounts come with kit, but you may have to cut some spacers out of PVC if frame is a bit long - I refuse to build coaster brake bikes, so you may want to get some real brakes to add to it

Coaster brake is fine, be sure to add a front brake if it doesn't have one, also a rubber O ring and quality bolt to seal the stock carburetor. A hole drilled through the tensioner bracket and wheel stay with a grade 8 bolt to ensure that the tensioner doesn't lean into the rear spokes

I haven't ridden coaster brakes since I was in 3rd grade probably, nowadays just trying to use them at walking speeds in Walmart in the bike section nearly causes me to take out the medicine racks on the other side of the store, can't seem to get the hang of them... Once a guy had an absolutely beautiful bike, offered to let me ride it, was going to until I saw it had a coaster, had to decline for my own safety.

I'm with David, I use 90% front brake anyway. Put a good front brake on it, you'll be fine. I'm also with Crassius, I wouldn't put an engine on a bike until it had a good front brake. Chain breakers are sized to the chain. Most bicycle chain breaks only fit 1/8" (which I recommend) and smaller, so you will need a larger one bought from a tool store, about $15. I've done chains for years with a file (or grinder) and punch (or even a nail).

Drift thru the pictures here of how others have done it.

Steve

I'm with David, I use 90% front brake anyway. Put a good front brake on it, you'll be fine. I'm also with Crassius, I wouldn't put an engine on a bike until it had a good front brake. Chain breakers are sized to the chain. Most bicycle chain breaks only fit 1/8" (which I recommend) and smaller, so you will need a larger one bought from a tool store, about $15. I've done chains for years with a file (or grinder) and punch (or even a nail).

Drift thru the pictures here of how others have done it.

Steve
When I got my first kit I didn't have a chain breaker, I used a dremel to get it apart, then a table vice, hammer, sockets, small nuts, and butchered Allen keys to get it together.

I felt like an idiot when I found out that the kit came with a master link....

As far as brakes go, you need a front brake. V brakes are best, but any caliper type rim brake will work fine at reasonable speeds. Many beach cruisers do not have provisions for a front brake. Most engine installations require some fabrication, depending on the bike. I recommend using an engine mount chain tensioner and a clamshell rear sprocket mount. Both the clamp on chainstay tensioner and the rag joint rear sprocket mount that comes with the Chinese kits are basically junk, the tensioner in particular can get pulled into the rear wheel and cause a crash. It happened to me.

Back