Please help me diagnose

I would love to show my plug but unfortunately, the sky is falling...so I had my wife pick me up and I put the bike upstairs in the office. It's going to smell like gas in the AM, and my partner is going to ***** like a little girl....and I'll walk around with a smile on my face all day!

Jerky can also be a sign of Spark problem.

Kind of like some one throwing a switch on and off from your coil.

Good idea to check wires for possible grounding issue or poor connections.

Just a thought.

cheers

bob

Hi Guys,

OK, I pulled the plug this morning...it looks rich - mostly black. Before when I looked at it (before I richened it up) it had that nice chocolate color. I also used a lot more gas than I had expected...the tank was about 3/4 full, and I probably put on about 30 miles...I think I should have gotten better mileage - so I went back to the leaner (leanest) setting: I went back to the notch closest to the end of the needle (leaner) and I think it's happier there. Better acceleration, I think.

Here's what's interesting - at 3/4 throttle, it will slowly go up to about 27mph. Motor is not screaming which is good...but it won't go faster - as I open the throttle more, it seems to bog a bit, ie, doesn't slow down, but doesn't go faster....so I'm thinking that Bob might be onto something.

I made sure the plug is connected well, and I can visually see that the blue and black wires are connected well (crimped, not soldered), but they pass the "tug test".

So...plug wire? I certainly don't mind changing that, but silly question: how? Isn't the CDI sealed?

Also - plug gap - I never set it. Just popped it in. It's the NGK plug, what should I set the gap to?

Another hint - for the first time in about a month, my speedo reset! It happened 2 days ago - I forgot to turn on the fuel lever....when the motor died, it reset the speedometer. Weird, huh? It hasn't reset since....also, my light failed. This is on a completely different circuit, not using the bike as a ground or anything. These things may all be completely unrelated, but I figure I had better tell all of it to get a good diagnosis. :)

Any help is appreciated, guys. And Thanks. And please pardon my ignorance....I'm trying! :)

Still waiting for Fedex to show up with my Springer Forks!

The plug wire just screws into the CDI, plug gap s/b between .020 and .025 You have to remember that with thet sprocket you are running now you are putting more strain on the motor because of higher gearing. Therefore the engine might not have enough torque to go any faster. A good comparison would be riding your bicycle in 5th gear all the time there is a point at which you cant go any fatser and it is alot harder, and you might be able to drop down to 4th gear and actually go faster. With that leaner setting just watch that plug, 2 stroke engines dont like lean conditions, especially in hot weather.

Last edited:
Hi Mister - it was set at .022, so that's fine.
I was able to tighten the plug wire - cdi connection - almost an entire turn. So I took it for a short night ride list night. I think it ran better, but still not 100%.

I received intake and exhaust replacement gaskets, and they will go on today, and I'm going to also pull out the o-ring and use RTV to make sure I have everything sealed up properly. The gaskets from DAX are nice and thick. I will coat them with RTV on both sides when I install as well. Once the intake and exhaust are off, I'll also hit it with the dremel if necessary..if you know of a thread for porting with pictures, please point me in the right direction....

BTW: New light is great! Haven't recharged it yet, and I'm sure I have over 1 hour on it. But last night, in the dark, it lit the road pretty darn good. I still have the Bell light attached - I thought the blinking LEDs would also help...but it's got a regular light as well...definintely not light enough, and when the halogen light is on, completely outshines the Bell light.

My springer forks came in yesterday finally from Spooky. Pretty Chrome! Should really make my ride software, I hope. :)

OK, I'll post later...going to fly my planes this morning.

I'm not sure if my last tests (after porting the exhaust) were in the best conditions...100% humidity and slightly drizzling...

Today I rode into work...the motor was REALLY happy...I cruised in at an easy 25mph, with plenty of power to spare and go faster if I wanted to.

I will do the same port work on the intake tonight, and then I think I'm done with messing around with the motor, and I can just ride ride ride...(and do regular PM).

I think I can finally get my concentration back on track with my giant scale Cessna 310 RC Airplane and get it finished up and in the air in the next couple of weeks.

Back