please help me get a spark!

andres1436

Local time
7:52 AM
Hey guys second time posting. I seem to have connected correctly the wires and have left out the kill switch to see if it helped. But to test for a spark I press the clutch put the spark plug in the boot and give the wheel some spins and no spark. Nothing has gotten wet and is brand new. Any help? I really want to ride this bike already :cry: here are some images IMG_20141103_222624.jpgIMG_20141103_222742.jpgIMG_20141103_222559.jpgIMG_20141103_222526.jpgIMG_20141103_222514.jpgIMG_20141103_222434.jpgIMG_20141103_222407.jpgIMG_20141103_222358.jpg

when you turn the motor to test for spark, you need to hold the plug against some metal (usually the muffler nuts are handy)

if you don't see the spark It may still be there, so hold the plug threads in your hand and your hand against the metal to see if you feel it spark

do you know your carb is on there sideways??

You say you press the clutch ...if clutch is pressed in , then the engine is NOT turning over so it can't produce a spark....Carb on sideways will NEVER work..

My troubleshooting procedure is simple these days.

Disconnect everything.

Ohm the black magneto wire to a head bolt, it should read a dead short.
If not, check the ground tab on the magneto.
Note:
The new skyhawk CDI's have no white wire, ground is the lower connector but it has a wire from it to ground.

Old style mags with a white wire have a tab out of the mag that solders directly to the mag base and they can come loose, just hold it down and re-solder.

Ohm the magneto from the black and blue wire, 320-380 ohms is ideal, an open or dead short means a bad magneto if the wires are connected.

Ohm the CDI in the 10K-20K scale.
Red+ meter probe to CDI black wire.
Black- meter probe to the spark plug cap.
You should get about 6.9K ohms.

If not it could be a bad wire or cap.
Unscrew the plug wire at the cdi, use pliers or even cut it off and dig the junk out if need be and do the same test above again to the cable screw on the CDI.
If that works get a new wire and plug cap, if not you have a bad CDI.

If all of that is good there is only one thing left, the magnet.

That was indeed the problem with this repair on a new build with a 2014 gasbike.net front page engine kit.

When you pull the 4 bolts out of the magneto mount it should slam itself against the magnet, I mean to the point where it is hard to even get your first bolt in.
A weak magnet that lets you move the mag around pretty easily is not strong enough to create a spark which is what this repair had.

Magnet replaced, problem solved and my repair is done.

thank you so much! bought a multimeter today and followed your trouble shooting procedure. the magneto is fine and the cdi aswell. turns out the spark plug boot was faulty and have ordered a replacement. thank you!

thank you so much! bought a multimeter today and followed your trouble shooting procedure. the magneto is fine and the cdi aswell. turns out the spark plug boot was faulty and have ordered a replacement. thank you!
Glad I could help.

Back