Please Help. Pennsylvania Registration, Insurance.

yuckfoo

Local time
11:47 AM
The information on PA DOT website says that the registration is similar to a motorcycle but doesn't contain any information on how it's different. As usual state bureaucratic information is very lacking in definition.
  • Do I need to have a title created for my motorized bike in Pennsylvania? If so how can I do that?
  • How do I go about registering my bike?
Any tips, advice, links to websites are appreciated. I'm putting too much money into this build to have some cop with a bug up his ass cause me any trouble. Many people in PA just don't bother. I'm well aware of this fact. But since I plan on riding in several different tows and counties in the state I want everything to be super-legit.

"Papers please!"
"Right here tough guy!" 😎

A motorized bike will be considered a moped in Pennsylvania. Here's a link
Link

Btw what area do you live in PA? I live in PA too, Lehigh Valley.
I live in Norristown, Montgomery County. Yeah I'm aware that motorized are considered mopeds but the PA DOT website doesn't tell you what to do about it. They say they are "similar to motorcycles" and provide a link to motorcycles, but then say NOTHING about the differences or similarities.

I live in Norristown, Montgomery County. Yeah I'm aware that motorized are considered mopeds but the PA DOT website doesn't tell you what to do about it. They say they are "similar to motorcycles" and provide a link to motorcycles, but then say NOTHING about the differences or similarities.
The main difference is you need a motorcycle license with a motorcycle and the power output it can have. Moped limit is 50cc and 25 mph I think and I think it just needs registration no license.

You could call PennDot or the Jon Yurconic agency for more info.

The main difference is you need a motorcycle license with a motorcycle and the power output it can have. Moped limit is 50cc and 25 mph I think and I think it just needs registration no license.

You could call PennDot or the Jon Yurconic agency for more info.
Thanks. I tried calling PennDot, no one answers the phone. Besides, knowing PennDot they probably know even less about it than I do.

Just spoke with Jen Michaels , a penndot supervisor, she said a bicycle cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has, mike gensel

Just spoke with Jen Michaels , a penndot supervisor, she said a bicycle cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has, mike gensel

In the eyes of the law what makes a motorized bicycle a bicycle and a moped not a bicycle? They both got 2 wheels that you can pedal.

In the eyes of the law what makes a motorized bicycle a bicycle and a moped not a bicycle? They both got 2 wheels that you can pedal.

A Moped is geared just to start the bike. If ya tried to ride it with only pedal power it would be like riding around in 1st gear on a 10 speed bike.
You could only pedal a Moped to about 5 MPH. You would get so tired of you legs moving so fast. You wouldn't try to get somewhere by pedal power. Also a Moped is just twist and go your not gonna peddle it from a stop to get up to speed. Thus Moped (motor/pedals)

A bicycle or M/B is different you can pedal that easily up to 20 MPH and ride it like a bicycle any time to get somewhere
When the motor is used ya usually gotta pedal from a stop to get up to speed. Thus Power Assisted Bicycle

But with the law some states just call a M/B a Moped while other states call a M/B a Power assisted bicycle. Motorized Bicycle or Power driven Cycle

Don't forget states also classify a motorized bicycle by it's HP and auto trans. When ya got a manual clutch they assume you don't have to pedal from a stop I guess, I'm sure there are some more points of What's the differences are That I've left out

Last edited:
Hi, Mopeds can't be registered in pennsylvania because they are listed as a low speed vehicle and do not have a vin number and have no safety data or certification from the manufacturer, mopeds are a motor vehicle but bicycles are not, I spoke in emails with Jen Michaels yesterday, a supervisor from PennDot, she said bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine they have because they are listed as low speed vehicles, electric bicycles are legal in pennsylvania now as long as they meet the 750 watt, 20 mph limit, mike gensel

Last edited:
Back