Please Help. Pennsylvania Registration, Insurance.

I am digging a little deeper to for the same reason as yuckfoo, I live alone in the rural country, need to travel about 25 miles through several towns to a garage when I get my cars inspected and serviced, need to drop off and pick up cars, garages where I live are few and far between, no taxis out here and no family either, going to retire soon and will need cheap transportation back and forth to dollar general at the very least, I can carry motorized bikes on cars carriers to get back and forth to garages, but the legality keeps coming up about the gas engine powered bikes, pocket bikes are not allowed on pa roads at all, scooters and motorcycles are too heavy to put on car carriers by myself, my life is ruled my by murphry's law, is there is a cop out there and wants to pick on motorized bikes, he will find me, mike

For interesting reading, look up pennsylvania act 154, and section 102, title 75, amendments to the previous laws, electric bikes are legal now and are not required to be registered as long as they meet the engine power and speed limits, electric bikes are federally regulated now, they didn't mention gas power bikes though, the federal define of a motorized bike or pedacycle as an off road vehicle, the feds say it is up to the state as to if it is allowed on public roads, I do not know if electric bikes are still classified as mopeds or not, just that they are except from registration in pennsylvania, act 154 only speaks of electric bikes, mike

While i have gas bike engines, parts galore and built a few myself, I have to say, Electric is quiet and if not going 40mph,
attracts no attention. Just sayin ;)

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

The thing is, if one rides like they have common sense, well...the cops most anywhere won't hassle you until given an opportunity.

Low, Slow, Quiet and Wave! :)

You are right about the electrics, my only problem with them is where I live is all hills, I would need a huge lithium battery, I need 25 miles range on of top of going up all the hills, going up steep hills uses a lot of battery power, usually with battery's and gasoline, 1 gallon of gasoline stores a lot of energy, about 20 times the energy storage of a lithium battery for a given weight but 4 times energy storage as a lithium battery with the same weight and size considering the efficiency of a gas engine which is about 10-15 % and the efficiency of an electric motor which is about 80-90 %, you are right, don't attract attention and you will probably be ok with the cops, mike

Automatic Clutch Manuals are no go same for shifting which kind of kills the 2-stroke mood lol why mopeds are just start and go

I'm prob missing a few things but if you go get this sheet you'll see it all
Basic for all states in the USA
To qualify as a M/B with Auto Trans = After clutch is engaged no shifting is required = Moped with max speed under a certain MPH & HP

Hi, Mopeds can be registered in pennsylvania because the are not listed as a low speed vehicle and have a vin number, mopeds are a motor vehicle but bicycles are not, I spoke in emails with Jen Michaels yesterday, a supervisor from PennDot, she said bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine they have because they are listed as low speed vehicles, electric bicycles are legal in pennsylvania now as long as they meet the 750 watt, 20 mph limit, have automatic clutch/transmission and as listed as motor assisted bicycles, I am assuming now that gas or electric assisted bicycles are listed as assisted bicycles are are legal and without registration as long as they meet the same criteria, 750 watts/max speed of 20 mph, automatic clutch/transmission, mike gensel
I'm gonna need her email address... My mtb has a Predator 80 on it, making 3 bhp. it uses a centrifugal clutch to power the back wheel, but still retains it's 7 speed pedal/derailleur system. It rides on 26 x 2.125 tires and looks like a mountain bike for all intents and purposes. My concern is the engine displacement. Is the extra 20cc's pushing it into motorcycle territory or is it a faster moped?

P.S.- I'm a BIG guy (6'4" 375#) but I'd rather have this than an actual motorcycle (BT,DT). I went for the Harbor Freight engine option to offset the extra weight.

I have asked penndot in emails dozens of letters for several months about if 49cc gas assisted bikes require registration, they still have not answered the question, all they say is bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engines they have, mike gensel

I have asked penndot in emails dozens of letters for several months about if 49cc gas assisted bikes require registration, they still have not answered the question, all they say is bicycles cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engines they have, mike gensel
Ok, what does PennDOT say about bicycles using pusher trailers? The Predator I have won't fit on my bike, so I opted for a Bafang 1000W Mid-Drive, but I want to build a pusher trailer using this engine and the wheels I had bought for the motorized bike. Any ideas?

I have emailed penndot with dozens of letters for several months asking if a 49cc , 1 hp gas engine assisted bike that has a top speed of 20 mph requires registration, they still have not answered my question, all they will say is a bicycle cannot be registered no matter what kind of assist engine it has and that came from 2 supervisors, if you read the online regulations, they say it is still a moped, then you have idiot sites like EVO that sell electric bikes that says that pennsylvania defines an ebike in part with less that 50cc cylinder displacement, cylinder displacement only applies to gas engines, nowhere does pennsylvania regulations mention that in their ebike information, I have told EVO about it a few times already and they are so stupid and ignorant they refuse to remove the posting on their site, they are either complete morons or just making up things to sell bikes, mike gensel

Back