Please need help, very disappointed.

Diagnose

I need some help, 66cc, slant head, Jaguar CDI, expansion chamber, reed valve kit,Dellorto carb. Having trouble, tuning, not running a very well, that is inconsistent. Only 11 miles on engine, am I being too impatient and need some break in time? Very disappointed, because old and not sure what to do next.

Years ago I had put a five flags engine kit on the same bike, which was a friction drive roller, wow, it was only, I believe 33.9cc and it ran great, I mean really good, no monkeying around, piece of cake, easily cruise at 25, and I had a top speed, at sea level, of 33, but that was dangerous and scary.

About the only thing I haven't done, is change the wrist pin bearing, but I'm really disappointed, with this Chinese engine and not sure what else to do.

Certainly would appreciate any thoughts and/or guidance. Everybody on this form has been great, sincerely John :cry::cry::sick::sick::poop::poop::poop:

Hard to say with "Just not running well."
I bought a used Honda Elsinore once. When I started it, it did not run even. It would start to rev up and the then go back down, up down up down. It had a break in the rubber intake behind the carb.

I appreciate the feedback, and you are correct, I do not understand how the two cycle operates. Obviously I need to do some study. I know the four cycle inside and out, and have many trophies to prove it from my dragracing days. Likewise I have the diesel engine down pat. Little harder for me now at my age to pick up on some of this stuff, but I appreciate the comments and help. I do understand the elevation impacts, at this time I'm running a 78 jet, at 850 feet above sea level, and suspect I might be a little lean. However as I mentioned there's a lot of hills around here and think made before mess around too much more I will let the motor break-in. Thank you for all your considerations and help, I remain, sincerely John

May i make a suggestion and put forward the idea that you ditch the NT carburettor and replace it with (the just released) Rock Solid Engines Walbro style (diaphragm) carburettor and kit which has been designed to work with the Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake.

This news is hot off the press and i've already placed an order for the kit.
Now we can get rid of the NT carburettor, as well as the Dellorto carburettor and it's clones and replace it with something that's user friendly and dead easy to tune.

No more messing around with jets and pulling the carburettor apart every time the wind changes (y)

May i make a suggestion and put forward the idea that you ditch the NT carburettor and replace it with (the just released) Rock Solid Engines Walbro style (diaphragm) carburettor and kit which has been designed to work with the Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake.

This news is hot off the press and i've already placed an order for the kit.
Now we can get rid of the NT carburettor, as well as the Dellorto carburettor and it's clones and replace it with something that's user friendly and dead easy to tune.

No more messing around with jets and pulling the carburettor apart every time the wind changes (y)

Don't feel bad John. I'm getting up there too. I got schooled on this forum site the other day. Turned out I didn't know everything. Even though I own a 2 cycle with a reed valve for a short period I did not understand the difference between a gas valve and an air valve, (Mixture screws), but thanks to the internet I learned before I really made myself look dumb.
Turns out the screw on the carb in back (Engine side) only lets more fuel in for idling CC =Rich. The screw by the breather adjusts air/fuel mixture CC=Lean.

I am trying to order the correct Walbro carburetor and filter. Feeling like my computer has a virus, and maybe my brain, and carburetor as well. Things just aren't working the way they should? I cannot register online with rocksolid, or fix whatever I did wrong. They're great, but I have to try to e-mail for an order, it's weird, I don't know if it has something to do with the virus protection on my computer what. But, no doubt the carburetor I have now is junk, thanks for everyone's help, John ::confused::sick::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::bowdown:

Okay, the Walbro carb. Isn't quite ready, not quite available.

Regarding rocksolid, Not sure why but for whatever reason, I cannot access their website for ordering. But I have been able to work with them via e-mail, no problems they are great. However the carburetor isn't quite available yet, tried to order one, was advised that it might be a week or so yet. But will get one soon. And that'll be great, able to get rid of junk.

Believe me, the moment my eyes saw the reed valve compatible Walbro style carburettor, my credit card just flew out of my wallet.
The reason why you will have a short wait to get your carburettor is because i ordered mine yesterday and have a slightly shorter wait than you do :D
I suspect that the person who ordered before me has a slightly shorter wait than i do.

I wouldn't say that the standard NT carby is junk, because (in my case) it's worked reliably for 40,000 kilometers, however it was a pain the backside when messing around with the jetting; constantly disassembling and reassembling after every jet change, then wasting time with test runs, followed by more disassembly and reassembly and test runs till the carburation was correct.

Contacted Rocksolid yesterday, mail delivery where I live is horribly slow, so I asked about paying for expedited service, it took about 20 days for me to get the Reed valve kit. I was advised that this time they are machining up the adapter from the Reed valve to the carburetor. And at this time they do not have the carburetor is in stock, the shipment they were expecting has been delayed in Japan, and they're expecting to receive it around the middle of next week. Well I guess that'll give me some time to study up on the operation of to cycle motors.:geek:

Back