Please recommend the strongest Frame!

Mike Lynch

Local time
12:42 PM
Please recommend the strongest Frame and / or Frame Manufacturer. This will help narrow down the selection process and help me avoid making a bad choice.

Additionally:

Why are the 700cc Frames not considered a good choice for a build?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

The 700c frames have skinny wheels. At higher speeds, it is better to have the wider cruiser or mountain bike wheels, they have more air in them and absorb some of the road bumps.

I think you will find that most cruiser or mountain bike frames will work, but probably Worksman bikes are the strongest. Not that I would argue the point if anyone had a different opinion. In my opinion they are probably built stronger than they need to be.

IF you can make Sun's website work (and I can't, it chews up my dialup ability), they are "generics", identical to higher priced models except for the decals.

Bike shops don't have them on the floor, because basically they have agreements with Trek or Diamondback or whomever to sell so many units.

They are in the J&B catalog, under the desk of every bike shop.

In that other thread, I mentioned the Cruz 7, which is like my 2005 Retro 7, over 15,000 miles and not one bit of trouble frame wise, still has the original brake pads (which tells you how seldom I actually slow down or stop). No crimping, 2.25 tires, 2 handlebar adjustment possibilities. $310.

The other one I use is the Sun Comfort Rover 21 speed, which I saw side by side with a Diamondback, for about $100 less. Same Shimano gears, same dropped back seat post. It is lightweight, but climbs hills like a breeze. The SCR21 requires one crimp for the spokering, has 2.0 tires, 3 handlebar adj. poss., shock absorber seat post standard. About $340.

Attachments

• bikestand 002.jpg
    bikestand 002.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 203
  • 2008_1012mostlybikes0012.JPG
    2008_1012mostlybikes0012.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 199
Back