Police in Sydney, Australia

llopart

Local time
10:46 PM
Hi everybody,

Yesterday I saw a bike with an engine in Bondi Junction. This has been my dream for years. 5 minutes later, I was googling, checking if I could do the same.

I was about to order a zbox engine, but before that, I'd like to know about Police issues, anyone who had a good or bad experience with the police in Sydney?

I know it's illegal, police knows it too, but...do they try to bust you or just pass away? I ride my bike everyday, I know one day police will stop me, it's just a matter of time. So I would like to know when that happens, I will be in trouble or not....

Thanks a lot!

Don't ride like a lunatic & u should be cool....i've never been stopped yet but sometimes (when i'm feeling particularly paranoid) i pedal when i see Mr Police.

hey llopart,
Did you see my bike at Bondi Beach area, I was there last night, and Tuesday night as well ? I have Billabong and MB.com stickers on.

I find I'm less paranoid at night, as figure the Engine's black and harder to see.
I have been passed and seen by many Police cars, but have never been stopped.

I ride from Sydney CBD to Bondi Area on a regular basis.

I know someone here who was stopped and questioned in North Sydney,
this person carrries a print out from the RTA, that states that Motored Bikes
are Legal if they're under 200W, check it on the site. Also the details of
the lower limit 35cc Zbox motor.
I have started doing the same, so at least I'm prepared if it does happen !!

I've recently bought an electric bike, but the petrol is on the blood now,
so its going to be a tough decision in future for which bike wins lol.

check out Lets Ride for our upcoming Sydney Gathering.

hey will_start, so it was your bike? I saw it near bondi!

Believe me, I ran to catch and ask thousand questions to the lucky owner of the bike, if it was you, you were lucky to go faster than me :)

In Spain, riding that things is not possible. As soon as the "maderos" saw you, you are in great trouble. I see here maybe they're not so tough...so where will you get this RTA print and "official-like" engine details? I can't sleep until I have the engine mounted on my bike! Also want it to go to work, from randwick to The Rocks. Not to do the monkey in the street...although in safe environments would be really great to do races and have fun!!!

****, I imagine a whole nation riding those things, no cars, no pollution, no traffic jams...why the fu*ck laws limit to 200W, don't they realize that is good for the whole traffic system?

From now on this is my only and favourite forum.
Enjoy your bike,you lucky guys!! Soon i'll do it too :)

Maximum fines in NSW

Hi all,

By the time the engine arrives at home, I will be investigating about the legal implications and risks in NSW. So I will ask randomly some policement about what would they do if they saw a bike with a small engine, and observe their reactions, see if they know about the hp/power issues...and post it here.

Also, the maximum fine for riding those vehicles in NSW.... If all goes really bad, you pay $472x3...if you don't pay it, you go to court and ruin yourself. Anyway, the website says $922, which is painful, but not deadly painful.

I mean, it's better to avoid the problem, but if it happens, you get a 1000 fine. That is the law, all of us know that laws aren't applied strictly...and I want to speak to those who may apply the laws...mr police.

And what about....ways of camouflage for the engine? In randwick, I saw someone riding uphill his bike (so fast) with something similar to a plastic box just on the top of the rear wheel....that box seemed to made a strange sound....but...I couldn't know if it was from that box or from another car ;)

Have fun!!!

From an official PDF (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/unregistered_risks.pdf)

Driving an unregistered vehicle is also an offence,
attracting on-the-spot infringement notice fines of at
least $472 for unregistered, $472 for uninsured and
$472 for unpaid motor vehicle tax. If the matter goes
to court, the court may impose a fine of up to $2,200
for driving unregistered, $5,500 for driving uninsured
and $550 for unpaid motor vehicle tax.

From their website (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_unregistered.html):

Driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle is also an offence attracting on the spot infringement notice fines of at least $922 ($461 for being unregistered and $461 for being uninsured). If the matter goes to court, the maximum fine is $2200 for driving unregistered and $5500 for driving uninsured.

Under 50cc

If it's under 50cc no reg is requiered.
but 48cc is 1200 watts just over the 200 watt limit.
Like others have said don't ride like a loony!!!! and most cops will leave you alone.

catch you on the tar

hey will_start, so it was your bike? I saw it near bondi!

Believe me, I ran to catch and ask thousand questions to the lucky owner of the bike, if it was you, you were lucky to go faster than me :)

****, I imagine a whole nation riding those things, no cars, no pollution, no traffic jams...why the fu*ck laws limit to 200W, don't they realize that is good for the whole traffic system?

From now on this is my only and favourite forum.
Enjoy your bike,you lucky guys!! Soon i'll do it too :)

Hey llopart, hope your bike build goes well.

email me if you need some help, its always good
to see someone else's build.

We are having a meet in mid June, so your bike would
be in fine form by then.

RE this bit:
you were lucky to go faster than me

Its not luck, its a motor dude. :LOL:
It can go so easily uphill. I don't even have to pedal.
I usually try to limit my motor to its top speed.
I feel, Pushing it over that can harm the engine.:devilish:

Catch you on the tar. :cool:

Back