Port timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know..I'm just making sure people understand when checking, the position of water flow changes things....someone might put it towards exhaust side and think flow is just fine.

Sorry mate, yes your 100% Correct

I'm going to try a larger stream of water as I believe it should fill the entire port with pressureto get a better indication using the water method..air/fuel mixture fills the entire port so, why not.

I'm going to try a larger stream of water as I believe it should fill the entire port with pressureto get a better indication using the water method..air/fuel mixture fills the entire port so, why not.

I feel the water has a little to much volume causing it to be erratic in the flow

But that’s just my thoughts from what I seen doing this

Im removing the side casting lip closest to the intake side and filling in with jb weld nearest the exhaust and placing an angle closer to that of the intake sides angle...if that doesn't shoot the full mixture to the intake side only I'd be quite surprised.

Im removing the side casting lip closest to the intake side and filling in with jb weld nearest the exhaust and placing an angle closer to that of the intake sides angle...if that doesn't shoot the full mixture to the intake side only I'd be quite surprised.
I was going to do exactly that myself but not after this

I actually like this way because it give more of a direction where as the JB weld will still leave a rather decent wall that will still have to be shaped, so my thought would be it could end up being a waste of time with the job weld
But would be good to see comparisons

The mod I just did took as long as the post where posted.....pretty easy :)

Whole point I guess is getting it pointed in the right direction

I'm sure it does (but I don't have a picture with water being blasted through to prove it), but it does reduce the width of the transfer port window.

StreetRyderz's way should allow for more flow because it keeps the full width of the transfer port window.
Idk how much that matters unless you're going after high RPM.
If you're going after high RPM, I'm sure that matters.

I couldn't find the rotary tool burr long enough to get in there and do it the way SR did, at least not in the diameter of my rotary tool. And the 6" x 1/4" shaft ones I could find are just huge on the business end.

The intake side is limited by the ring ends so I decided that the port can't be widened there, and I just accepted the ~3mm lessening of the window width.

I'm sure it does (but I don't have a picture with water being blasted through to prove it), but it does reduce the width of the transfer port window.

StreetRyderz's way should allow for more flow because it keeps the full width of the transfer port window.
Idk how much that matters unless you're going after high RPM.
If you're going after high RPM, I'm sure that matters.

I couldn't find the rotary tool burr long enough to get in there and do it the way SR did, at least not in the diameter of my rotary tool. And the 6" x 1/4" shaft ones I could find are just huge on the business end.

The intake side is limited by the ring ends so I decided that the port can't be widened there, and I just accepted the ~3mm lessening of the window width.

My thoughts as well
The only thing I thought was less crank volume but I’m guess it’s more to do with the flow

Here is how i got in there if it helps any one
5089D647-7916-47F9-860E-B8981F5C9429.jpeg 9F0A7B47-CBAE-42F0-9EC9-F9966BF016D7.jpegimage.jpg

The small radius on the tool allowed it to get behind the cylinder

I do try to fill the width of the transfer base with water flow best I can not just the middle or etheir side and it doesn't need to much pressure just a nice consistant flow to show if it breaks off clean or hooks around once it's breaking off clean and the angle you want then it aids in all rpm because your cylinder fill rate is faster and fuller and if you have run one stock and then run like this you'll for sure see the difference.

Ya I do the water thing too. I think that back cutting the transfer port on the exhaust side and leaving the lip on the exhaust side like Ryderz shows would be pretty effective in directing the charge away form the exhaust. The whole charge is coming up the transfer wanting to get out. When it gets to the window their is a lip on the exhaust side saying you got to go around me to get out. The more volume their is behind the lip the more mass their is trying to get around it and the only way around is toward the intake. So the more their is behind the lip the harder it pushes the rest forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back