Port timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy here just said NO maybe I am,With engines and the shop and tools every thing has to be right lol if someone puts a tool in the wrong place (he has done it) I'll stop what I'm doing and put it in it's place or ask that they do!LOL

So once we have done the transfer redirecting mod without narrowing down the window with JB Weld, we can make use of the case matching mod.
Perhaps this is even achievable without splitting the case? :)
Can we use a chunk of putty to literally get an impression of how the case and jug are mismatched? o_O
First you match the gasket to the bottom of the jug. Then you mark the case with the matched gasket. I use saran wrap over the top of a foam insert cut to slide over the rod and fit the case. Do all the work with the engine on it's side. Then remove the wrap and foam with engine upside down and a artists brush to remove anything left on the case and rod while engine is upside down.View media item 60445View media item 60446

Last edited:
A loss is a loss when were trying to make gain's it doesn't make sence to me to accept a little loss here and there that all add up when it can be corrected but that's me as I said I think I'm a little O.C.D. when it comes to engines lol.

I can be a bit OCD as well...we all are in some way or another....I'm OCD about any stock motor....I have to do something even if very little to feel I improved it's performance in some manner...my lawn mower, daily driver, weed eater etc...lol

Rather it be an indexed plug or a more free flowing air filter or an upgraded plug wire....you will never find a 100 % stock motor on anything I own with a motor.

I've never done it with the case together,I'm a little O.C.D. when it comes to these lol I'm allways thinking that one little unseen fileling could destroy all the effort put in but that's just me!If you sealed it up good and flushed it out after should work I guess.For me it's not a big deal to split the case for the peice of mind gained.
Has to be small cheap tools for me, I don't have a workshop so much as a spare bedroom. :oops:
PVC electrical tape and silicone lube to control the swarf worked surprisingly well on the crank balancing. :)

But no guarantees! Lol ;)

I'm not thinking you have to fill the port with a ton of jb weld to get the air flow changing direction on the bad side....I'm personally going to try just enough jb weld the height of the window only....I'm thinking as long as you smooth any sharp or abrupt edges where you added it, a cfm loss is minimal at best.

Still havent done this yet but I certainly will give it a shot.
I can't actually remember how wide the transfer window is, but if the 20.5mm figure on Jaguar's port map image is stock, before his JB Weld mod, then 3.5mm of JB Weld is a loss of 17% of the width/ area. I should think it matters more if you want high RPM. The JB Weld modded transfers are certainly able to do 8000 but... you want to go faster ;)

I can be a bit OCD as well...we all are in some way or another....I'm OCD about any stock motor....I have to do something even if very little to feel I improved it's performance in some manner...my lawn mower, daily driver, weed eater etc...lol

Rather it be an indexed plug or a more free flowing air filter or an upgraded plug wire....you will never find a 100 % stock motor on anything I own with a motor.

I was actually under the impression that we are all on the autistic spectrum here? o_O

I have been diagnosed for two weeks lol. :oops:
Now I know that my urge to "optimise" things is a good part of my ASD. :D

Last edited:
First you match the gasket to the bottom of the jug. Then you mark the case with the matched gasket. I use saran wrap over the top of a foam insert cut to slide over the piston and fit the case. Do all the work with the engine on it's side. Then remove the wrap and foam with engine upside down and a artists brush to remove anything left on the case and rod while engine is upside down.View media item 60445View media item 60446
Nice work! :eek:
Looks like you had cut a new base gasket from scratch?

I can't actually remember how wide the transfer window is, but if the 20.5mm figure on Jaguar's port map image is stock, before his JB Weld mod, then 3.5mm of JB Weld is a loss of 17% of the width/ area. I should think it matters more if you want high RPM. The JB Weld modded transfers are certainly able to do 8000 but... you want to go faster ;)

I was actually under the impression that we are all autistic here? o_O

I have been diagnosed for two weeks lol. :oops:
Now I know that my urge to "optimise" things is a good part of my ASD. :D
Not so much for speed but getting the best cylinder fill possible to make power(torque) with, 17 percent may not seem like much to some but that's alot to me when there is so little to begin with.

Not so much for speed but getting the best cylinder fill possible to make power(torque) with, 17 percent may not seem like much to some but that's alot to me when there is so little to begin with.
So it's as important to me even if I want to limit (myself with) top rpm to a safer 7000?
I would just expect the difference the mod makes to the torque to be greater when the piston speed is faster than when it's slower,
but I don't doubt the mod is worth trying out anyway so that hardly matters. :)

So it's as important to me even if I want to limit (myself with) top rpm to a safer 7000?
I would just expect the difference the mod makes to the torque to be greater when the piston speed is faster than when it's slower,
but I don't doubt the mod is worth trying out anyway so that hardly matters. :)
I would think it's important at all rpm especaily below the pipe or on a stock pipe where as the charge is pumped up the transfers into the cylinder the exiting exhaust pressure pulls some out that doesn't get returned,So if that coupled with a loss of volume from the transfers is taking place the engine is strugleing to accelerate due to the lack of charge volume.

We must be very careful about not breaking through to the outside of the cylinder!! :D
I am always afraid of hitting a cavity, too, in this porous cast chinesium. I had a huge one in the case threads. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back