Possible Electric Bicycle ? [ trolling motor ]

So I have a Worksman Tri-fecta trike and a Minn Kota trolling motor w/battery. I mocked everything up and will be putting it together over the next few weeks. I'm able to buy the freewheel sprocket assembly from Worksman, or at least I can find the part numbers online. The challenge I have is mounting a freewheel sprocket assembly on the shaft of the trolling motor. Nothing I can find on the gokart parts pages has that small of a shaft. Any ideas?

Attachments

• trike.JPG
    trike.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 321
  • trolling motor 1.JPG
    trolling motor 1.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 319
So I have a Worksman Tri-fecta trike and a Minn Kota trolling motor w/battery. I mocked everything up and will be putting it together over the next few weeks. I'm able to buy the freewheel sprocket assembly from Worksman, or at least I can find the part numbers online. The challenge I have is mounting a freewheel sprocket assembly on the shaft of the trolling motor. Nothing I can find on the gokart parts pages has that small of a shaft. Any ideas?
To be clear, I will use the pedals to get moving, but would like to utilize the trolling motor for cruising.

You might want to check out Sick Bike Parts shift kit page for the parts you need to share your pedal sprocket with an electric motor and not get your legs beat to death.
http://sickbikeparts.com/shift-kit-and-all-drive-products/
Yeah, I was worried about that. I am not really into any of this stuff and have little to 0 knowledge on how to make this work. My thought is to have the trolling motor behind the trick and run the chain to the rear drive axle. I am assuming I will need a freewheel sprocket on the rear axle, just like what is currently there but a larger diameter. Then run another freewheel/oneway sprocket directly on the shaft of the trolling motor.

Are you saying that when I power the trolling motor it will be spinning the rear axle and cause the pedals to rotate?

Attachments

• trike rear axle view 1.JPG
    trike rear axle view 1.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 334
  • trike rear axle.JPG
    trike rear axle.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 322
  • trike rear right wheel.JPG
    trike rear right wheel.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 296
The Sick Bike Parts freewheel setup is typically used on multi-speed bikes, adding a freewheeling crank sprocket, which is rather unusual. The benefit is that it allows the motor (+ combined pedal input) to take advantage of the rear gears. Beautiful!

A typical installation for a trike is to put the motor directly above the lone wheel, which in your case would be the front wheel. Adding a rear wheel with freewheeling sprocket to your front fork shouldn't be too difficult, but might require a little modification.

I was thinking of rear drive because of the front wheel having a drum brake built into the hub. That and ultimate simplicity. Here is a mock up, nothing is installed and the trolling motor shaft needs to be shortened.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3698.JPG
    IMG_3698.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 304
I absolutely hate cell phone pics posts in the wrong prospective.
If you want help, making people try to turn their heads and guess won't win you any fans.

What size is the shaft and how feasible is belt drive?
The shaft is pretty small, less than 1" on the trolling motor. I actually made a little progress, ordered a freewheel sprocket and mocked up motor/battery/controller. I'll post a few pics here shortly (they will be cell phone pics in bad lighting taken at odd angles). We worked out a plan to just make a sleeve that will go over the trolling motor shaft and inside of the freewheel sprocket. Then weld a bicycle drive sprocket to the axle of the trike

Back