Possible Electric Bicycle ? [ trolling motor ]

:devilish:I'd only need a bike I think, and that site you gave me has really labor saving wire end throttle changes if I get lazy about self made redo ... My wife is gonna freek though, I get focused like Dr. Frankenstien and when she's laying food outside the locked door she starts getting testy ... She doesn't appreciate my screaming "IT'S ALIVE ! IT'S ALIVE !!! at 3 in the morning either .....

Does the minnkota depend on being submerged in water to dissipate heat from the motor or is that not an issue?

I did think about that even before my original post but discarded that worry. I used to be a believer in deeply discharging my boat batterys and had a habit of letting my motors run till my 3 onboard batterys were deeply discharged .... never noted a problem with the trolling motors I used, but you are right, 20 years ago they got awfully hot running them out of water and ironically, the smaller the thrust power the hottor those got.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... but discarded that worry.

20 years ago they got awfully hot running them out of water and ironically, the smaller the thrust power the hottor those got.

out of water, the motor is basically running without a load. okay...it"'s pushing air. but not pushing it across the motor. will moving air cool this motored application, on a bicycle? will it need cooling fins? or a shroud to channel air by the motor?

I would probably think a funnelling shroud couldn't hurt,but again ... they don't seem to heat up like they did years ago .... I've only just stopped that deep draining belief I had less than 10 years ago, and I've had many of these motors.Btw, I did mean I drained the batterys by running the troller out of the water, usually on the 1 to 2 hour trips home,ad even after arriving home. Never had a burnout .I'm not certain if they still put that out of water warning in the manuals ... I need to dig up the manual for this new Auto Pilot when I get over to my storage garage . The second and larger concern is the typical marine battery these need .... I think I have understated the weight because thinking of the 3 in my boat, I think we're talking nearly 60 lbs each.They have no cranking amps power as a regular battery but are designed for the long constant draw demands of trolling for fish.

Yep. You've got to build it. I have a Motor Guide 18 sitting in the corner begging to be let out of the house. I figure that if that 40 will push you around pretty good, the 18 might putt me around in town (Town is only 1 mile from end to end.) I started thinking about just putting a roller on the prop shaft, but you'd have to have a pretty big roller.

I have no doubt you're 18 will perform better than you might even be thinking .... I've watched the prop dig into mud when I've accidentaly ventured in too close to the shallows,and the prop pushing in the mud with the shaft refusing to stop will easily begin turning a large runabout or bowrider's nose back toward the water. By the way Alaska ... Am I hallucinating or isn't it true that Motor Guides numbers aren't really the thrust power ... Is that really an 18 pound thrust ? I'm wondering if its actually not larger ....

Just a stupid thought but you could wrap 1/4" copper tubing around the motor and even add a little bittty pump and coolant, or you could go find all the scrap heat sinks you get from old computers and such to attach to the motor. Hillbillies gone wild!
PS. Don't forget the duct tape. :LOL:

Back