possible new gear drive for honda/suburu four strokes!

Correct, they spin CW
There is a guy here [ @thescooterguy ]that uses these scooter gearboxes to
mount an engine inframe that drives the bike chain front sprocket
on a mountain bike
They are too wide for pedals on the left side so he removes them
and places footpegs on the bottom stays

You can't pedal because there are no pedals

Anyone have an idea of the reduction ratio of these? Also, do they swap the direction ie. on a CCW motor do they go CW?
Here is a pic of one of his bikes with his new mounting bracket
The gearbox is behind the bracket

Attachments

• SCOOTERBIKEbikeChainSide.jpg
    SCOOTERBIKEbikeChainSide.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
This gearbox came on my folding bike from www.fiveflagsmotorbikes.com, and I really like it. I did have one problem after using it for the first two months, because it was shipped to me without gear oil in it!! Luckily, it was repaired for free under warranty, and I haven't had the slightest problem since.

The engine that came on my bike is supposedly a Tanaka 33cc Chinese rip-off. The Subaru/Robin EH035 definitely mates with this gearbox as well. If the Mitsubishi TLE33 & TLE43 also fit on this gearbox, I'll have to pick one of those up as well.

Nice thread!!

Interesting. Would probably work with a rackmount if the chain cleared the rear forks... You can get these engines + gearboxes pretty cheap from ebay here - saw one with a 50cc 2 stroke for $120 aud.

I'm fairly certain that you will find that the gearbox shown will not bolt directly to the Honda or Clone. You will need an adapter that spaces it out from the crankcase approx. 1-1/4 in. and that also has the slightly smaller bolt pattern to adapt this gearbox. Staton-Inc. makes such an adapter. You will need such an adapter because the clutch when fitted to the Honda/Clone stands proud of the mounting surface of the engine approx 1-1/4 in. The gear box shown will probably be a direct bolt up for the Subaru/Robin though. Then the consideration becomes does it reverse the CCW rotation of the motor?

Go-Kart parts suppliers are a good source for small #40/#41 driver sprockets that might fit this and other gear boxs.

ocscully
They'll bolt to the smaller engines - the Honda/RS 35's, as well as true mitsubishi TLE-43 (and probably 33) engines.

The Scooter Guy has bult hundreds of motorized bikes, using these 5-1 scooter transmissions. He's built them with a variety of engines including Titans.
His bike have had cranks and pedals, for a long time.
walthenry

Back