Possible Springer Fork Upgrade

GreasyChris

Local time
3:05 PM
Hey all so after getting my bike out for a bunch of rides so far. I think it rides and performs great. However the roads here are terrible and most roads prevent me from wanting to go any faster than 30kmh because of the potholes and general deterioration of the roads and then of course my frame and forks are rigid which really amplifies the extra crappy roads. The spring seat definitely helps the ass out but the front end needs to have some suspension added to it and I was thinking Springer forks would suit the bike. I have a few options in mind the first are these. They look like monark forks but with 4 springs instead of 2. My concern is where the forks attach to the mantle. I read the monark1 forks had crappy welds and would break there.https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Monark-Springer-Harley-Davidson-Style-Springer-Bicycle-Fork-26/273456811902?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
My second option is monark1 Springer fork however the above mentioned problem. I have a welder and can weld so I could reinforce before installing. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Mon...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
My other option is the sunlite version with the single piece fork tube. This one appears to look the strongest. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DUAL-SPRING...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
They are all disc brake ready.
Is any one using any of these forks? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20190329_162306.jpg
    20190329_162306.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 20190329_163711.jpg
    20190329_163711.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 188
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I remember someone installed a springer but took it back off because of stability issues. They said it flexed too much. Don't recall which fork they had. It is somewhere on the forum.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I remember someone installed a springer but took it back off because of stability issues. They said it flexed too much. Don't recall which fork they had. It is somewhere on the forum.
I did read about that as well but thought it was more the single spring fork. Thanks for the info

That was me. I had a Monark-style fork, and added rebound springs like the fork that you linked.

I LOVED the ride. But cornering felt really iffy, like the front wheel was drifting side to side. Wheel mounting is garbage on these forks; the dropout faces forward and the notches that are supposed to retain the axle, don't. It's damn near impossible to mount a wheel square in the fork. I ended up welding up some washers to fix that, just to be able to ride the thing.

I suspect the iffy cornering is due to the rockers being mounted with plastic washers. It's not a precise fit. I suspect the one you linked will have the same problem.

Also, that fork that you linked looks like Ray Charles welded it, with his feet.

That was me. I had a Monark-style fork, and added rebound springs like the fork that you linked.

I LOVED the ride. But cornering felt really iffy, like the front wheel was drifting side to side. Wheel mounting is garbage on these forks; the dropout faces forward and the notches that are supposed to retain the axle, don't. It's damn near impossible to mount a wheel square in the fork. I ended up welding up some washers to fix that, just to be able to ride the thing.

I suspect the iffy cornering is due to the rockers being mounted with plastic washers. It's not a precise fit. I suspect the one you linked will have the same problem.

Also, that fork that you linked looks like Ray Charles welded it, with his feet.
Thanks for the info. I see what got mean about the plastic washers. I think im gonna stay away from these forks altogether then. They look cool but im really not into losing a front tire or wiping out. Any suggestions for a good suspension fork?

I did read about that as well but thought it was more the single spring fork. Thanks for the info
Most of my bikes have either fox forks or rockshox, but I do have 1 with the sunlite monarchs. They are not as good as the others, but they are still pretty nice, and they look great. Just make sure to get the bushings set up right on them. When I got these both bushings were on the bottom of the upper bracket and clanged like hell over every bump till I changed them to this assembly. I haven't had any tire issues and they handled good enough for my riding style, but they are more for their looks with a little suspension qualities and the disc setup helps. All in all I like them.
View media item 60781

Last edited:
Most of my bikes have either fox forks or rockshox, but I do have 1 with the sunlite monarchs. They are not as good as the others, but they are still pretty nice, and they look great. Just make sure to get the bushings set up right on them. When I got these both bushings were on the bottom or the upper bracket and clanged like hell over every bupm till I changed them to this assembly.
View media item 60781
Thanks for the info.

I'm using a Marzocchi 888 but it's really heavy for a triple tree. Most of the bike people love 'em except for the weight and yeah, eventually end up going to Fox and Rockshox

Back